Who Knew ??

TexasClodhopper

Re: Who Knew ??

"Only 1/10 of NM could produce all the energy for the USA!"

Oh my! I wonder if they know? :clown:

They claim 700 barrels per acre of ground per year (open pond system.)

Just say we use 20,730,000 barrels per day. That means 7,566,450,000 barrels per year.

Divide that by the per acre per year output of the algae. You get 10,809,214 acres per year.

New Mexico consists of 77,865,600 acres. Divide that by the 10,809,214 acres of algae.

You get the real news the algae farm would have to consume almost 15% of New Mexico! :eek:

I think we should try it! Don't you? :clown:

cwishert

Tex are you a college professor or what? You have a lot of time on your hands to figure out all those calculations. :)

ironart

Paul,
It's always nice to listen to a man who knows what he is talking about. I'm Impressed .........

I'm not suggesting that everyone in NM dig a pond in their back yard....What a mess that would be..!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
But a few of those Vertigrow thingies here and there might help.....I'll lease them a few acres at my place...but unfortunately, I'm not in NM ......Maybe that's the only place where the stuff grows..?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TexasClodhopper

Oh, I guess I'm not tipping either way on that project. I suppose my little division answers sort of supported their claims.

They made no claims as to the output of their 'vertical' growing; only the pond type.

It kind of looks like you'd need an area much larger than a typical refinery. I wonder if the 'oil' output would be 'seasonal' like farming or continuous?

No one could claim this energy producer isn't GREEN! :clown:

Carol, have college perfessors fallen off THAT far already? :clown:

DL Rupper

The GREENIES will find some reason to say NO to this alternative.. They want wind energy, but say NO to any new power lines to carry it to the cites or say NO windmills inmy backyard. Go figure. :dead:

ironart

I am assuming that the growing process is temperature sensitive.....If we are talking ponds then I'll bet you don't get much oil in the winter....
Those green houses they showed in the video appeared to be heated so I guess they can produce all year around.

Wonder just how they make fuel from that slime......a Chemical process or heating like a refinery..???

cwishert

Well Tex you sound smarter than most of the college professors I had in college. Of course that was 25 years ago and it was a little college. :)

cwishert

I meant it in a good way. But you have to realize it took me almost 5 years to finish jr college. :eek: Had my priorities a little mixed up at the time. :cool: Things happen for a reason though. At any rate, I am just amazed that you can look at what the guy said and then calculate it out to reality. I am in awe! :blush: :approve:

C Nash

Just wave at Tex from the nearest dairy queen and he'll forgive you :laugh: :laugh:

TexasClodhopper

Ahhhhhh .... Just the thought of a Thin Mint Blizzard makes me all mushy and forgiving inside ...

item_blizzard.jpg

Yessss ... I am at peace with the world .... and Carol, too.

Mmmmmm .... mint cookie ....

cwishert

My first job was at Dairy Queen. :) They didn't have Blizzards back then though. Only lasted two weeks cause I couldn't make the little curl on top of the ice cream. :eek: Whats the deal with Dairy Queen anyway. We love our Dairy Queens in Texas. Some of the best food you can find in most of them. :cool: :laugh:

DL Rupper

Dang you got me thinking about goodies. I have a hard time not ordering the McDonald's Hot Fudge Sunday for $1.00. Positively great. :laugh: