Wi FI Internet

JN

has anyone experienced WiFi at an RV park yet if so i would love to hear what you think about it. Were considering putting it in our park but i've never owned a park before so were not sure on what to do.. We think were just going to make it avalible by the club house for now until we get a good idea of how many people will be using it.

rvlikens

Wi FI Internet

JN, I've used "wi-fi" in one camp. It works ok but the make up of the rigs can hamper the signal. If your sites are far from your base station, you can only reach out about 300 feet under good conditions. You can get signal boosters and put them out through the park for better coverage. I stayed at a Jellystone park in Frankenmuth MI who had it. It was only good so far from the building and I was right at the edge. It was ok but better when I was outside. They just required my MAC address to my wireless card. Remember there are 2 "channels" to be aware of. 2.5ghz and 5ghz. The 5 has a better range so I would go with that. You need to remember that you sorta setting up a LAN so if you have a highspeed cable connection, your wireless cable/dsl router will provide a large block of IP addressess for just one connection. I didn't see much of a speed issue and with some software that comes with your routers, you can restrick bandwidth so you don't have ma and pa uploading large video files to the grandkids and causing a slowdown for everyone else. Costs? Can't help you there but if you figure 50.00 for monthly highspeed cable access, 30-60 bucks for a wireless router and providing you already have a PC, your costs should be under 200.00. I wouldn't think of buying extra wireless cards because you would open a can of worms and you would need a few support people onhand to "fix" problems your campers would run into installing such devices. Start small and expand at will. I've yet to see a camp ground called a "cyber-park" but you might want to call the Jellystone people above and see what they tell you. Looking around online about how to set up a "wireless network" can save you some money and time. Good luck :)

notlost

Wi FI Internet

hi,
from a campers' viewpoint, wi-fi is great. giving 2 equal campgrounds, if 1 had wi fi and the other didn't, i woulde definitely pick the wifi campground.

Cryzmath

Wi FI Internet

I too, would pick the campsite with WiFi over the one with none. There are many indviduals that have access through their portables. My personal experiences have left me hanging until I've gotten to Port Townsend, WA (traveled from Washington DC) where a wonderful individual helped me set up my wifi on my laptop. It also helps to have an individual who can and is willing to help those who are not experienced with the computers (patiences counts!) -- go for it! ;) :laugh: :)

cvrvr

Wi FI Internet

An article in the LA Times today indicated that Wal-Mart is going to start installing WiFi in their stores

S. Manaro

Wi FI Internet

We've setup wifi in several campgrounds. If it's done right, the entire park will be covered. Setting up your Windows XP computer is a snap... if you are using an earlier version of Windows, you will probably need a software install to get it running properly.