WIDTH/LENGTH RESTRICTIONS

Old Forum Post

[JOHN GOODWIN] I AM THINKING OF BUYING A DEISEL PUSHER, A WINNEBAGO ULTIMATE FREEDOM. IT IS 101" WIDE AND 40&#039 LONG. I HAVE READ THAT THERE ARE RESTRICTIONS IN SOME STATES ON BOTH WIDTH AND LENGTH. THE WIDTH RESTRICTIONS REALLY SCARE ME. MY DEALER SAYS THAT THESE RESTRICTIONS, NORMALLY TO 96", ARE RARELY ENFORCED. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE, OR ARE YOU CURRENTLY USING AN RV OVER 96&#039 WIDE AND HAVEN&#039T EXPERIENCED ANY PROBLEMS. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU EITHER IN THIS FORUM OR BY E-MAILL, JOHN.GOODWIN@EIT.CA

Old Forum Post

[Tom Milligan] Go to the web site www.escapees.com web site, and click on whats hot, then scroll down to AB2175. It concerns California and the law that they have on motorhome length. Weather they enforce this or not is another question. They are trying to get it changed in the state legislator, but so far haven&#039t succeeded.
There&#039s probably more states that have similar laws, but that&#039s the only one that I know of.

Old Forum Post

[Ken Cole] Dear John, in November, 1999 I emailed 17 state DOT&#039s regarding width limits, and the info I received back was that the widebodies are legal. They all allowed for safety features which stuck out further than 102", but the adding of an awning, which isn&#039t a safety feature, causes the unit to be over-width, legally. Of the 17, three states allowed widebodies with awnings, but 2 had restrictions: Idaho allowed 3" of awning beyond the body width; Kentucky allowed awnings, but only on certain roads. Tennessee had no restrictions. I haven&#039t heard where any of their laws have changed. The worst report I received was from the Washington state DOT which said that awnings are regarded as a reducible load and must be removed to pass through the state legally.
Regarding enforcement, I&#039ve only heard of one instance: in Arizona a widebody with awnings was stopped for speeding, and the driver was cited for both illegalities. Strict, nationwide enforcement is probably never going to happen, due to the lack of officers. ken, CA

Old Forum Post

[Jim M] Hi John: Glad you brought this stuff up, I too have been concerned. I have an Ultimate Advantage, and we really love it. Hope you enjoy your Freedom--have you bought it yet?