wild camping, is it possible or legal

i'm a cheepskate
what are the chances of finding wild camping spots, for a night or two
up and down the east coast
sorry for the dumb question, i'm currently based in london, and will be moving stateside to be with my new wife when i finnish my studies, we plan on buying a winnebage first off, until we find someplace to settle down
my ife is currently boston based, it's too cold for me in the winter
i'm hoping to find "home" somewhere in north carolina
if there are wild camping spots, is there a list of them anywhere

C Nash

Re: wild camping, is it possible or legal

You may find some in the National forest but they will be few on the east coast IMO. Wallmart parking lot can be free and WILD sometimes :laugh:

alapataws

Any National Forest will let you camp "wild". Also most BLM & Army Corp of Engineers allow the same. I have been doing this for years. There can be certain regulations though; like building fires, so contact a U.S. Forest Service or a local ranger station for more. That's it, enjoy and be safe. Hunting season in the backcountry can be of concern too...

J.K.

H2H1

dang Nash you just spoiled my camping at WM. Now cheepskate you say you can't stand the cold. u better start looking somewhere else to call home. It does get cold in NC. :laugh: :( :(

H2H1 - 2/1/2010 11:24 AM

dang Nash you just spoiled my camping at WM. Now rubbachicken you say you can't stand the cold. u better start looking somewhere else to call home. It does get cold in NC. :laugh: :( :(

right now home is London :( my wife lives in Boston MA :( until i finnish school here in london, in july we will be appart :( winter is way too cold for me in Boston, too much of that white stuff, i'd rather go to California, she says no, she wants to stay on the east coast, and has said NC is as far south as she would be willing to go, she doesn't like it too hot and humid :(

H2H1

hey I under stand when the wife speaks we listen :laugh: :laugh: we don't always agrees, but we listen.

outdoors4ever

we fully intend to get "wild" every trip out with our new toy!!! seriously though the National Forests have plenty of camping for free, just avoid the fee related grounds but you have to be prepared, extra water, generator, batteries etc, oh, and beer!!

RE: wild camping, is it possible or legal

the wild camping, only after i read that some campsites charge $50 a night
jawdrop.gif

i realise that campground owners have overheads, that sounds a bit steep

i'm thinking solar cells for keeping the batteries topped up, no need for beer, neither the wife or myself drink

C Nash

Key west was over a hundred a night. NO, I did not camp there :laugh:

C Nash

I asked if this included a cruise to the Bahamas :eek: They didn't think that was funny :laugh:

C Nash - 2/6/2010 10:16 AM

I asked if this included a cruise to the Bahamas :eek: They didn't think that was funny :laugh:

this is probably a dumb question, but why is it SO expensive, to park an RV in a field, what part of that justify's the high costs per night, i could understand if it was a motel or a hotel and they had to build rooms etc

i gues it's down to realeastate

appart from a sewer and water what services do RV owners realy NEED

i've yet to buy an RV, i'll be maybe doing that when i get to live with my wife permantly

if it's going to cost $50 a night every time we go out in it, i might not bother, spending a good chunk of $$$$$ and having to pay out $ every night, it's making me think twice about it :(

C Nash

Mark if you stay away from the tourist attractions there are plenty of lower priced cgs. State parks are not to bad and there are the COE parks. Might look into some of the discount clubs. We are passport America members and it works pretty good traveling but most limit stays and will not honor in peak season. If you are looking ar rving as a way to save money forget it IMO. It time spent with family and meeting new people that's priceless.

brodavid

alot of State Parks, City Parks, National Parks, and the fun with your family, gee I am agreeing with Nash alot, proves that smart people think the same.
I was told to live in my living room for 2 weeks with my family and only leave it to go to the rest room to get the feel of living full time with my family in a RV. It worked, we have not camped alot because of my health lately, but my wife and daughter only has to hear the word Camp and they are already packed.

brodavid - 2/7/2010 11:27 AM alot of State Parks, City Parks, National Parks, and the fun with your family, gee I am agreeing with Nash alot, proves that smart people think the same. I was told to live in my living room for 2 weeks with my family and only leave it to go to the rest room to get the feel of living full time with my family in a RV. It worked, we have not camped alot because of my health lately, but my wife and daughter only has to hear the word Camp and they are already packed.

ha ha, that'll not be a problem, i lived in a'72 VW kombi for 18 months, i drove it 25,000 miles around australia, i built the interior myself, sunscreen was a roll out projector screen, found in a dumpster :laugh:

bimba_1-1.jpg
we'll be having a 6 to 8 week trip around scotland and ireland later in the year in my vanagon :laugh: