Will this vehicle tow?

average jane

We are looking to buy a new car now and hope to possibly buy a trailer in the next year or 2. We like the Kia Sorento, V6 and is says it will tow 3,500. We know this greatly limits our trailer choices, but only want something small to start; it's just us and 2 kids. Will the Kia really tow a small trailer and if so, what would be your recommedation? We don't mind a used trailer.

akjimny

Re: Will this vehicle tow?

Hi Julie and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. I see you posted this question up twice, once in Beginning RVing and another in Talkback. No need to do this in the future - we look at all the topics pretty much every day and this way you won't get too many answers to the same question(s).

The Kia Sorento will tow what the manufacturer says it will tow in reasonable safety. That said, remember the 3500 pounds is the TOTAL weight. That includes the weight of the trailer, water (at 8 pounds per gallon) propane, food, clothes, etc. Plus, don't forget what you are loading up in the tow vehicle - 2 adults, 2 kids, toys, clothes, food, etc. You get my drift. It's easy to get to an overload condition in a hurry if you are not careful.

You didn't put in a location, so I don't know where you will be camping. If you are in a warm location, a pop-up tent trailer might be the way to start out. They are light and small enough that you would have a hard time overloading one. If you are in a colder locale, you might want a smaller hard wall trailer. Whichever you choose, check the manufacturer's website for the gross trailer weight and tongue weight and pick something that your Sorento can tow comfortably.

Hope this helps some and hasn't confused you more. Welcome to the wonderful world of RVing. :) :)

akjimny

Steve - the Kia website rates the total tow capacity at 3500 lbs. I'm thinking the hitch capacity would be around 10 to 12 percent of that. Web site doesn't specify.

Kirk

If you look at weights of RVs, you will find that the pop-up trailers are the once that you can tow. In addition, some smaller hybrids could also be in the proper weight range. There are also some of the tiny trailers like the Burro and the Cassita that would be under that weight.