Window & joint Sealant

kaboomer

Several people have recommended "Proflex RV" to seal my windows. As a contractor, I use "Proflex" silicone to seal up windows in houses. My question is:

Is "Proflex RV" and "Proflex" sealants really the same thing?

DL Rupper

Re: Window & joint Sealant

Hey kaboomer, welcome to the forum. I'm waiting for the answer too. I'm getting ready to replace some of my RV window sealant with GE Silicone, so will hold off until the answer comes. Where do you get Proflex or Proflex RV?

G

well i can't commit on that brand ,, but i can say that the elastamere roofin stuff they sell at camp world for about 40 bucks ,, can be bought at lowes for about 15 bucks ,, the only diff, is the word RV ,, same label and same stuff ,, just no RV on it ,, ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
bty i use window caulking ,, from a windshield supplier ,, i'll get the name as soon as i can remeber it ,, ;) :) :) :approve: :approve: :laugh:

kaboomer

Hey DL, thanks for the welcome. My suspicion is that Proflex RV and Proflex are the same product, but they bust you for extra $ at the RV dealership. I looked online and confirmed my suspicion. Here is what I found:

Geocel Profle | Geocel Proflex RV
|
Viscosity Brookfield RVT-F 800 M cps | Viscosity Brookfield RVT-F 800 M cps
Spindle Helipath Stand | Spindle Helipath stand
(100 sec., 77° F) | (100 sec., 77ºF)
Extrusion ASTM C 603-90 2 seconds | Extrusion ASTM C 603-90 2 seconds
Elongation (Peak) ASTM D 412 870% | Elongation (Peak) ASTM D 412 200%
Elongation (Peak) after 500 hours 1093% |
|
Tensile Strength (Peak) ASTM D 412 407 psi | Tensile Strength (Peak) ASTM D 412 100 PSI
Cyclic Movement ASTM C 719 ±25% |
Adhesion . | Adhesion
Aluminum 19 P.L.I | Aluminum 10 P.L.I.
Mortar 12 P.L.I. |
Glass 20 P.L.I. | Glass 17 P.L.I.
Wood 17 P.L.I. | Wood 17 P.L.I.
Vinyl 12 P.L.I. |
% Solids 62.5% | % Solids 60 %
Tack Free 2 hours | Tack Free 2 hours
Cure ( ¼” x ¼” bead) 5 days | Cure ( ¼” x ¼” bead) 3 days

It appears that the regular Geocel Proflex has a higher rate of adhesion and tesile strength. The only down side is that it takes 2 days longer to completely cure. Basically, the regular Proflex appears better or equal in every aspect except cure time.

kaboomer

Sorry for the loss of formatting. As you look at my post, everytime you see a "|" it is the division between the two specs.

DL Rupper

Hey kaboomer, is it better than GE silicone? It looks like the adhesion is good on most surfaces. It doesn't say if it will seal the joint/groove between a metal RV window frame and the fiberglass RV siding.

kaboomer

The GE Silicone I does not specifically mention adhesion to Fiberglass. GE Silicone II does not specifically mention fiberglass either, but does cite adhesion to plastic so I would feel confident that it will work well with fiberglass. GE Kitchen & Bath silicone II does say that it adheres to fiberglass.