winnebago itasca sunflyer

jkill2001

im looking at this unit and trading in my bounder against it. i would like to know any info on this unit if someone is very knowledgable on it. its on a ford chassis with the v10 has 60,000 and change on the mileage. has a 7k generator with 1200 hours. 32 or 34 foot i forgot with 2 slides. i need to know what the tow rating would be and if there would be any problems if it were to tow a 5000lb load behind it. thanks. if u need more info i can get it

janicenlarry

There is a plaque posted in the RV telling you what the various permissable weights are. If you cant find it, email Winnebago and they will give you any info you need. You will notice that the Itasca is a big step up from your Bounder. Far better construction and quality. I had a '99 Chieftain and it is a great machine. The V-10 is also an excellent engine for this rig. By the way, if the plaque states that it is OK to pull this heavy load, you will need to equip the load with auxiallary brakes. Be sure to have the unit checked out by a knowledgeable RV tech before plunking your money down

jkill2001

alright i'll check out the unit when i go to work on monday. yea i have already noticed that the engine is far better than the ford 460 just tap the gas in the v10 and it wants to go.

Krazeehorse

If the plaque says that weight is ok I think I would do everything I could to bullet-proof the tranny!

jkill2001

krazeehorse i don't understand what u mean by saying i could to bullet-proof the tranny

C Nash

jkill, there are several modifacations that can be done to beef up a trans. I think Banks or any performance sales offers a trans command that helps.

jkill2001

i finally test drove this unit today and got a few questions. when shifting from 2nd into 3rd it seems to shift kinda high like around 3 grand under normal acceleration. do u think thats normal? also when stepping on the brakes i kinda hear a humming high pitch sound which i've heard on some of the other motorhomes we got but dont know what it is? also around 20-30mph there is a constant vibration but then goes away, wheels out of balance? also noticed that the shop will have to fix the emergency brake since it don't work as well as a few other things which are safety related such as the driver's seatbelt not buckling.

janicenlarry

jk, you need to hire an independent RV mechanic to check this rig out before buying. Know what the problems are and the cost to cure.
The Banks TransCommand works great on this transmission and I recommend it.

Kirk

In readint this thread I can't find anything that says what year the chassis is or what the weight ratings of it are. It could be anything from an 18K GVWR to one of 23K GVWR. That makes a lot of difference. Also, the early ones do not have the CCC posted so if this doesn't have it, then I would weigh it and figure the CCC before I made a decision to buy it. I am a V-10 owner and am very happy but all of us need to be aware of the weight limits. I also agree with the post about the Banks Transcommand. I have one of the 275hp V-10's and added a full Banks system and Transcommand and I have never been sorry.

jkill2001

well today i found the list that shows the listings

gvwr was 20,500

gcvwr was 26,000

i didn't pay attention to ccc

C Nash

Cargo Carrying Capacity is the amount of weight that the MH can carry such as clothes, tools,cooking untinsels,and all the other junk we carry. It should be listed in one of the cabinets. the tounge weight of the trailer you will be towing also comes under this "I think". Some units have very low CCC. i would not want under 1500 lbs. A thousand lbs per person is a pretty good rule of thumb IMO if fulltiming but, you could get by with less if just week enders. Overload is one of the biggest problems causing tire blow out , transmission problems and poor handling which brings up safety issues.

jkill2001

well i do know for a fact right now with my bounder with 4 people fully loaded with water,lp and everything with my motorhome and trailer hooked up i had no problems. but i'll check it tomorrow.

C Nash

The only way you really know if you have a problem is to weigh it fully loaded.

janicenlarry

jk, how do you define "I had no problems?" Knowing how Fleetwood rates their units, it sounds like you were seriously overloaded. :(

jkill2001

well i looked this unit over again after our huge amount of rain. sat down and got a price on it they want 23,500 plus my bounder total price came out to be 49,900. do u guys see that being a good price?

C Nash

Hard to say jkill without knowing any more than we do about either unit. Need more info to even give an opinion. Go to NADA guide and put both units in and see what the difference is. Forget all the accessories. More than likely the dealer is getting the best deal.