Winter camping - prevent freezing

April Deckert

We will be living in our Timberland 28SKY this winter while our house is being built. I am looking for any tips on preventing freezing and hopefully preventing mold and mildew from the condensation. We are in South Central Pennsylvania and we have stretches with temps in the single digits and teens on a regular basis. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

ARCHER

April,
That's a tough question. I'm not familar with your camper so not sure if it has enough insulation for cold weather operation, etc., however, other than making sure you have a good furnace (with plenty of lp & extra tank(s)) I'd think the biggest concern would be the water system......fresh water, gray/black water, dumping when needed. Your gonna need some way to keep the water lines from freezing so I suggest you contact your dealership and talk to them about it. Might be as easy as putting some type of anti-freeze (not the liquid) type wrap on the lines that may have heat in the wrap. Not sure you will get mold/mildew in winter months....might be too cold for that, but you may get condensation on windows from heat inside vs outside. I might be tempted to put some of those moisture absorbers (I use it for my boat during winter storage) used in boats. You gonna shower in the camper also?
Maybe you ought to head South where it is warm while they are building your house..... :cool: ....just kidding.
There are some really knowledgable folks out there so hang in there and you'll probably get a lot better answer from them.
Good luck (by the way, hope you and your spouse get along real well since you'll be in really close quarters).

ARCHER

Forgot the most important thing......LP leak detector and smoke/fire/etc., detectors. A must and they must be in top notch working order....safety, safety, safety.

C Nash

April,
Showering, cooking and heating along with our bodies will add a lot of moisture inside a rv. A dehumidifier might be in order. Also small electric heaters work wonders in the rv but be careful where they are placed. If you are going to be in one place underpinning of some sort will help. Wrap all exposed pipes and like Archer, I am not familiar if the fresh water tanks, holding tanks, water pipes are in heated areas on the timberline. If it has an ice maker be sure the water supply line has the heated protection. Good luck

rudyhiebert

My suggestions include:
1.) engine & drive train protection by using good antifreeze and a superior engine oil and transmission fluid.
2.) Keep it jacked up so the tires don't get a flat side if your not driving it for a while. If you don't you'll have a horribly rough couple of miles the first trip you take.