Winter is here...and the heat is not!!!!!

Dreggs

Spent my first few cold nights in Savannah. I have no trouble sleeping but the ceramic heater I bought for the rig does not seem to do much. Runs full bore all night but still does not get the temp in the cabin above 60. I am worried about when the outside temp gets below freezing. Dont want to run the gas heat in the rig, which works great, because it will run thru it pretty quick.

Any suggestions on types of heaters? Anyone use convection types that look like big screen TVs? Does anyone know if services exist to deliver gas to your rig and fill the tank? If I dont fix this then my wife wont come to visit till summer and I need her a lot more than that!

Thnaks for the help in advance.:(

H2H1

just remember how many amps to have , if you are on 30 amps you wil limit to 30amps of electric power, and the same with 50 amps. I have a 30 amp service to my Class A and I use 2 heaters at the same time, but not full blast, both are rated 1500 watts, I set each one at 750 watts so I am using only 1500 watts for both. The way to figure how much you are using is watts/over volts=amps. So, like I said, I am using 750watts over 120v=6.25amps per heater and if both heaters are on the same circuit I am only using 13amps off a 15 amp outlet. I willuse the propane heater to warm it up before bed time then cut it off or low temp. and use the electric heaters to keep it warm during the night. I have been using this method for several years and it seems to work out ok for us. Good luck

Clay L

You don't say what kind of RV you have. Many Class A and some Class C motor homes have heated tanks using hot air from the furnace. In that case you will want to use the furnace.

Sometimes you can have propane delivered to your RV but most often you can't - in 11 years of full timing that has been my experience anyway.

I have installed a Stay a While Tee that allows me to use an external tank that I can take to a place that has propane and have filled.

It is made by Mr Heater. Another popular brand is the Extend a Stay made by Marshal Brass.

The one I have has an additional port and hose so I can connect my grill .
Initially I used a small 20 pound tank but now use a 40 pound tank.

harleyman_1000

Hi Clay, my name is Scott. I would like to fulltime, and was planning on jumping into it fulltime right away, but after thinking I have decided to take a year to figure out the type of rig, the cost, and talk to some fulltimers. I was wondering if you would be willing to talk with me about fulltiming?

Clay L

Sure I would.
After full timing for 11 years I have a fair amount of knowledge and a lot of opinions.

What can I try to help you with?

JCZ

Clay L;82193 said:
You don't say what kind of RV you have. Many Class A and some Class C motor homes have heated tanks using hot air from the furnace. In that case you will want to use the furnace.

Sometimes you can have propane delivered to your RV but most often you can't - in 11 years of full timing that has been my experience anyway.

I have installed a Stay a While Tee that allows me to use an external tank that I can take to a place that has propane and have filled.

It is made by Mr Heater. Another popular brand is the Extend a Stay made by Marshal Brass.

The one I have has an additional port and hose so I can connect my grill .
Initially I used a small 20 pound tank but now use a 40 pound tank.

The same goes for many trailers and 5th wheels......in those cases you'll really want to use your propane heater in order to prevent your plumbing from freezing and causing other problems.

Also, as far as portable heaters go, in the winter you want to use ceramic heaters to help minamize the condensation issue on the insides of the windows.

jdgooch8479

my furnace stopped working this am i think my thermostat may be the problem any suggestions about a replacement that i can buy at home depot or the like

LEN

If your air conditioning is intergrated with furnace you will need the same as you now have. If the furnace is on by it self just about any onr from home depot should work. Also what do you mean by stopped. Does the fan come on but no heat, does the fan come on, do you have propane at the furnace?

LEN