Winter Running with a Class B

Al Wells

Has anyone used a Class B such as Pleasureway or RoadTrek during the winter months? I'm hoping to purchase one as a second vehicle, which means no hiding it away until better weather.

s.harrington

If you are using it in cold weather (ie. skiing, snowmobiling) you may want to add holding tank warmers since most have exposed tanks. Other than that just make sure the furnace and water heater work.

MOtech

quote:Originally posted by Al Wells

Has anyone used a Class B such as Pleasureway or RoadTrek during the winter months? I'm hoping to purchase one as a second vehicle, which means no hiding it away until better weather.

RoadTrek is the only class B that has Winter use.
there is an internal 5 gal water tank and all the lines are internal as well, you just gotta run your furnace.
Pleasure-Way does not have the option.

hertig

If you want to use it 'as a second vehicle' and not an RV, you can 'winterize' the RV systems and then treat it just like any other vehicle in the cold. This process involves removing water from the system and/or adding antifreeze (which needs to be removed before using the water systems again).

southernrv

Airstream also offers a heated water system ina all lines. The Interstate and Parkway offer 12V tank heaters standard as well as have enclosed freshwater tanks. 30g, I believe.

Al Wells

Now I know why RV people are the best! You have great advice! I was hoping for a diesel for better economy since it will be used to travel about 100 miles per day, but some have advised that the smell and other issues may override the cost. Are there gas versions of B class that get decent mileage, or would I still be better looking at a diesel unit?

Al

Al Wells

Has anyone had experience with the 2.7L Mercedes-Benz turbo charged diesel on the new RoadTrek and Pleasure-way units?

classbpaul

RE: Winter Running with a Class B

Al Wells - 2/14/2006 5:52 AM

Now I know why RV people are the best! You have great advice! I was hoping for a diesel for better economy since it will be used to travel about 100 miles per day, but some have advised that the smell and other issues may override the cost. Are there gas versions of B class that get decent mileage, or would I still be better looking at a diesel unit?

Al

Al, I suggest you do a Google search for; 2007 Sprinter. One of the first entries is http://www.whnet.com/4x4/sprinter.html

It is a must read article for anyone considering to purchase a Class B mounted on/in the Sprinter. I jumped for joy at the thought of all these upcoming features/options. I can't wait to see how many manufacturers will use the coming changes in their 2008 models; like the longer body, wheelbase, and increased headroom of (2140mm) 7.02'.

Paul.

classbpaul

RE: Winter Running with a Class B

Al Wells - 2/15/2006 5:23 AM

Has anyone had experience with the 2.7L Mercedes-Benz turbo charged diesel on the new RoadTrek and Pleasure-way units?

I asked my mechanic who is located in a rural WI area, what the UPS drivers who deliver to him; say about the Sprinter vans. He said that the drivers complain about them and they are in the shop for many issues.

I wonder if the coming option of the 3.0 L V6 diesel will be more trouble free.

Of course, a Sprinter delivery truck gets more severe driving than a Class B motorhome, would ever get.

Paul.