winterizeing

H2H1

this didn't go the first time. Help!! I have 100 fresh water tank in the MH (that what I was told when they put it in) I have poured 4 gal of MH anti freeze and the pump want pick it upI was told that I might need 20 or more before the pump will work. I was also told that there is a device that connect to the fresh water connection and you can use your air compressor to blow out the water. Has anyone heard of this and if so where can I get one on the devices to blow out the water lines in the MH.

Thanks Hollis

Bush70

Re: winterizeing

there is a blowout plug you screw into the fresh water, where the hose hooks up, to blow it out. Also there are kits to hook up so you can draw the antifreeze right from the bottle and save alot of antifreeze as well as making it easier. I don't blow mine. Drain and draw the antifreeze in. When all is pink your are done. Good Luck

Grandview Trailer Sa

Hollis,
I don't believe in just blowing one out. I truly believe there is water in there somewhere that will freeze. We replace several water pumps each spring because they were not winterized correctly. There is a pump conversion kit that attaches to the pump. We sell them for $14.29. It allows you to draw the antifreeze out of the bottle right into the system. You will have the water heater bypassed and drained and use probably less than 3 gallons of anti freeze.

C Nash

Hollis, I think your Southwind has the hot water heater bypass and can pull straight from the antifreeze jug from the shore water hook up. Your owner manuel should have the instructions for this.

hertig

If you do blow out the lines, use a low pressure (i'm guessing 40 PSI or less). If high water pressure can damage the system (and I did that once), then high air pressure probably will too.

I've got one of those blowout plugs (from Camping World) but I've never used it (not much winterizing needed in Tucson). But if I did need to winterize, I don't think I'd blow out the lines. I'd just fill them with antifreeze.

G

I blow mine out ,, but use a air tank instead of an air compress,, then put in the pink stuff ;)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Blowing out and then putting in Anti-freze is OK. I agree with low pressure. With the air attached, start with the closest faucet and work to the farthest away. Don't forget to run the pump about a minute dry to get the water out of that. THEN put in anti-freeze.

benwd

I can't see pouring antifreeze in to the fresh tank as a way to do it. You will never get it all out and no matter how safe folks say it is I don't want to drink it in any concentration. The conversion to pump directly from the antifreeze bottle discussed is easy to do.

I've blown out but I'm not comfortable with it. I don't use the antifreeze. What works for me is to open all the drain valves, including the bottom of the water heater and let it drain. Open each faucet in the rv and blow, using a length of hose, with my mouth, to push any water down towards the drains, including the shower and toilet sprayer. Using the quick disconnects pull the hoses from the pump and run it for a few seconds.
I froze a toilet flush valve once and now remove the hose from the valve and blow down through it with the valve open.

This sounds like a lot of effort but the whole think takes me about twenty minutes. Any method that prevents freeze damage works and you will develope yours. I don't like antifreeze.

H2H1

WELL I tried the blowing thing and got no water from any facets. I have a 100 gallons fresh water tank and I put in the pink stuff (4 GALS) MIGHT NOT BE ENOUGH and the water pump want pull it up into the water lines. I got my RV tech coming this Wed. to see what he can do to completes the winterizing it. I do appreciate everyone's advice. once I see how Dave does it I will be on my own next year. THANKS

hertig

I'd drain the fresh water tank. The water is not much use now it has the antifreeze in it. If the tank is empty or nearly so, you probably don't need any antifreeze in it, as if it freezes, there is plenty of room for expansion. Its the restricted pipes you need with antifreeze, as when they expand, they often split.

H2H1

HEY John I don't keep the water tank full, it's just a 100 gallon tank. all that is in it now is 4 gallons of anti freeze and the pump will not pull/push it up into the faucets. I tried to blow it into the water lines but nothing has changed. but thanks for your input.

Hollis

C Nash

Hollis just watch the tech and take notes, memory might not be a problem for you yet, so you will be able to do the job yourself next time. Really simple once you get the hang of it. Couple of gallons from wally world and 30 minutes or less and your done.

Beaver97

RE: winterizeing

Since I live in South Texas, I just pull the DP in to the shed, lock the door and forget it.
g nash :)

G

Man i wish it was that easy for me ,, i have to winterrize ,, even though i have a garage for mine ,, but no heat ,, but that is a future plan ,, so that when i get ready to go in the spring i just jump in and sterilize the water system and go :approve: :)

C Nash

Haven't winterized ours yet. Still hoping to go somewhere. Don't worry about it until it starts droping into low 20s or teens

H2H1

Hi Beaver97, well since I live in an some what up scale neighborhood we have a HOAthat will not allow me to build another buildingon my 1 ac lot .Beside the house I have a work shop a garage for the golf cart and a pool in the back yard so the yard in the back is full, besidesthey already complaining about the MH being parked on the side of the house. I have spent nearly $11,000 digging out the bank and putting a stack stone wall and concrete the new drive way area just to part the MH. BUT on the bright side I am looking at buying more land and re-build the DW a new homeand include a 3 car garage with heat & air for the family cars and for the MH.I think this will eliminate the winterizing each year. But until this takes place I will still have to winterize the MH. On another note I getting ants in my pants ,cabin fever is really setting in and I need to go somewhere, can't wait for spring. I might jump into spring around MARCH this coming spring. anyway happen rv'ing

hertig

Oh, I see. The pickup must be above the '4 gallon' point.

There are 2 (other) ways to get antifreeze into your system. The best would be to add an input to the pump with a very short hose to the jug of antifreeze. I believe there are kits for this, but be careful; they seem to be easy to install 'backwards'.

Or you could hook a hose to the city water inlet, attached to an external pump, sucking antifreeze out of the jug. This would be a 2 person job, one person to open and close each faucet, and the other person to turn the pump on/work the pump while the faucet is open.

H2H1

THANKS JOHN, I got me a pump from CW last week and going to get the RV tech to install it to night so maybe next year this want be a problem, But AS always I appreciate all the helpful advise I get from this site.thanks Hollis

H2H1

WELL I got it winterized. the RV tech connected my pick up by pass valve, put in the hose turned on the pump it was sucking up the pink stuff, in 5 minute he was finished .oh it wasn't cheap. 2 gal of antifreeze I furnished the by pass valve still cost me $95.00. lesson well learned.

C Nash

Glad you got it Hollis. Just think, next year you will save 95 bucks :) Drain the 4 gallons out of the fresh tank and save it.