Winterizing and batteries...hard lesson learned

This is rather embarrassing. I'm not what you'd call "naive" when it comes to cars/vehicles/maintenance. I'm a half decent "backyard" mechanic. But RV'ing is brand new to me. At the end of last season I bought myself two brand new Trojan T-105 6v's...spent almost $400 for the pair (Canadian, remember). We used them a couple of times and loved their performance. So now comes time to winterize. I follow all the steps I've found on the net...plumbing, water heater, P-traps, etc...except for the batteries. No info on those. My work vehicle can sit for weeks in our cold Calgary winters (down to -30 at times) and the battery is fine. So through the winter my wife even asks "are the batteries ok in the winter like that?" I scoffed and said "oh they're fine"...yes, you can start laughing at me now. Both batteries...split apart. $400 down the tube.
Does EVERYONE in cold weather areas take their batteries in over the winter? What about the RV lots that have hundreds of stock RV's...do they take every single battery in over the winter???

So it was a hard lesson learned. Now I have to go out and spend another $400 for this season...sigh :(

utmtman

Re: Winterizing and batteries...hard lesson learned

In the past I only pulled the cables off the batteries and put a trickle charger on them and they were fine. Of course where I lived it rarely got below -5. And on average was around 5 to 20 during the winter.

H2H1

There you go bragging again Lee about the resort you live in. :laugh: BTW how you doing? I will be in and around SD by the end on the month. I bet you will be in Utah soaking up the sun. Are you still working for the park service? if so find one down south so I can come and visit you and Fran. Well take care and be careful on the road. :approve: :approve:

H2H1

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. I would do as Lee has suggested keep them on a trickle charge all winter long and that should take care of your problem. But as you stated just take them out/off and store them inside out of that harsh weather you have up there. I keep my MH plugged up to shore power all year long just for trickle charging the batteries and it never get any where as cold here as it does in your neck of the woods. Sorry for your loss, so get some more batteries and get out there Rving and see your and our beautiful country. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks, H2. Yeah, I just phoned to make sure the local rep had some in stock. We would love to head down to the south/southeast part of the US sometime. probably closer to retirement. This year we'll be staying in Lynden, Washington and then day trips to Whidby Island and deception pass.

H2H1

Dave just be careful what ever you do. :laugh: :cool: PS call me Hollis, thanks :approve:

brodavid

and do not call him Mr Hollis, or you will hear from him, JK
take care and welcome also Dave,