Winterizing Problem

campaddict

Winterized the camper today for the first time. Read somewhere that you are supposed to take the screen off the city water connection and press the valve until the pink stuff comes out. Seems we still had the pump on when we pressed the valve and the boy did the stuff fly everywhere, even sent the spring from the valve flying. Found all the pieces (in the dark of course!) and turned the pump off, now what?? How do we get the spring back in place and the valve to close again? And do we need to winterize all of the lines again - or did the pump just draw the antifreeze from the fresh tank back through the city water connection?

C Nash

Re: Winterizing Problem

Allison, I would think the pump just drew itfrom the fresh tankand pushed itthrough the city warter system connection. The purpose of this is to be sure there is some antifreeze in the fresh connection. If you ran all faucetts until the pink came through you should be ok. Just be sure you have enough in the drain traps. Did you by pass the hot water tank and drain it?

G

I agree with nash on that part ,, but gonna add some ,,, i am afraid that u might have to get a new city water inlet ,, u may hve lost some parts u didn't see or find ,, and also i would add another gallon of AF ,, just incase ,, if i can make a suggestion ???? i would have a pump kit put on u'r WP ,, that way u pump right from the gallon jug of AF ,, and u don't get the taste in u'r fresh water tanks ,, but JMO ,, ;) :approve: :approve: :) :) :)
But i also did a rving no no ,, when i winterized ,, left the low point drains open ,, and pumped a gallon on the ground ,, oh well it's an rv thing :eek: :approve: :laugh: :laugh: :blush:

miket

RE: Winterizing Problem

I have seen other posts that you never depress the city inlet for the reason you experienced. You probably now have to replace the city inlet assembly. I use compressed air with the adapter that fits the city water inlet and blow out the lines. If done properly, and all water is removed from ALL lines and tanks, you will not have a problem. Just pour pink stuff in the traps and toilet.

campaddict

Nash,
We did the drains last week so our first step this weekend was to drain the hot water tank and turn the on the bypass. At least we got that part right! ;) Then after much trouble we finally got 4 gallons of red pop in the fresh water tank(I think three gallons ended up on the ground before we finally figured out what we were doing wrong!). We ran each faucet until the pink stuff came out, then did the toilet, tub, and shower head. Then we had the fiasco with the city water. I'm thinking I might sleep better at night if I follow 730's advice and through some more antifreeze in and run the faucets again. Maybe hubbie can stand out back with a bucket to collet the stuff spouting out of the city water connection, and we can pour that back down the drains. :)

Next year we will definetly have the winterization kit installed and we will blow out the lines first through the city water inlet then pump in the pink stuff. Live and learn!

Now this city water inlet replacement....is this a do it yourself project or something better left to the dealer?

G

well the inlet is a bit touchy ,, not saying u can't do it ,, but it depends on what type u have ,, do u have the double type ,, I.E. ,,, city water and tank fill???? or do u just have like mine ,, a city inlet ,, and tank fill somewhere else on the rv ,,, they both are easy ,, if u have some mechanical abillities ,, almost like install a dish washer in u'r sick house ,, but u do need to beaware ,, that u need a good sealant to reseal the flashing or the plastic encloser ,,, but i think u can do it ,, if not ,, i would ck with the dealer ,,, and if u do go that route ,, ck with them on also installing the winter pump kit ,,, saves time ,, and cussing ;) :approve: :cool: :laugh: :laugh: ,, but agian JMO :approve: :approve: