wiper blades

H2H1

I think that I have read this on the forum before. But I have stored the MH for winter and I placed a plastic solo cup under each wiper to keep it from laying flat against the wind shield. I heard that this will keep it in good condition and not form to a flat side.Has any one heard about this ,or tried it, if so let me know if you think it worked.

thanks Hollis

TexasClodhopper

Re: wiper blades

Anytime I park my MH (accept while on a trip) I put a tennis ball under the arm of each wiper lifting the blade off the windshield.

Since WallyMart sells tennis balls in a 3 pack, I put the third one in the gas filler door. It fits in most gas pump handles where they tore off the thingey that holds the handle on while pumping gas.

ARCHER

I cut two pieces of the grey pipe foam insulator and slide it down over the wiper blade. Has worked great for 5+ years

C Nash

I use Archers method along with the golf ball when storing. Covers the whole blade and protects.

G

now that is very clever ,,, i would have never thought of that ,, i was gonna spend a mega 9 bucks on the covers ,, but now i know use the pipe insulation stuff ,,, heck i prolly got 100ft of that stuff up in the barn ,,, thanks guy's ,, we all learn something new al the time ,, and bty in the past i took my WB off for storage ,, even though the MH was in a garage ,,, :eek: :) ;) :approve:

H2H1

Hey Tex, as a retired Chief of Fire Protection I have seem a lot of tricks on holding the on/off valve in the open position. which most people who has done this left the vehicles to go inside the store for what ever reason and the tank filled and over flowed, I have also witness several fire that was started from static electricity from a over flowed tank. SoI ask that if you are doing this ,is that you stay there and make sure it never overflowed. I know how frustrated it can be filling up a tank and seem to take forever. I was filling up my tank at a Flying J it took more than 15 minutes to get 12 gal. in the tank so I went on down the road and got gas. I would hate to hear/read that you loss everything or gotten hurt to a fire. I am sorry if I ranted for a while but I am wired for safety. sorry.

Hollis

Kirk

I do as Archer suggests. If you get a 1" pipe insulation it will not only protect the wiper blades from the sun, but the diameter is large enough that the blade will also be lifted just as with teh ball or cup and have no pressure on it.

TexasClodhopper

Hollis, about the safety of holding the gas nozzle open, thank you for bringing that up. I should have offered the following in that post.

Even though I put the ball under there, I don't ever walk very far away from the pump.

There are three reasons I don't stay very close to the nozzle:
  1. I don't want to be there if something were to happen (any more than I have to be to fill the tank). I want to be near the front so I can evacuate the MH in case of emergency.
  2. I don't want to be near the fumes surrounding the filling operation. I had a brother-in-law who was the third generation of a family of service station operators. Each one died of cancer. I believe the fumes from the filling operation are causes of cancer.
  3. My hands can't hold some nozzle valves open for long.

Like Hollis says, Be safe, Not Sorry!