Wiper Operation

ARCHER

Not really an RV question, but related to my class a.
Last spring after MH was basically sitting all winter (5 months) and started it up to leave, wipers started working and would not shut off (did not turn on the wipers). Had to disconnect wire to motor to get them to stop (it wasn't raining). Since then, plugged wire back in (WD-40 SPRAYED), wipers will only work on low speed and only when I turn them on. No high speed and no delayed operation. Is there separate fuse for delayed operation? Any ideas? :(

hertig

Re: Wiper Operation

I doubt there is a separate fuse for delayed operation. I would suspect the switch or wiring harness is bad, or possibly the 'delay module'.

ARCHER

Bush70, it is the Chevy Chassis.
Hertig, is the wiring harness located on the gear shift/turn signal inside cab and the delay module inside the motor?
tks ;)

C Nash

Archer the GM is notorious for this. Try running a seperate wire to a good ground from the motor.

Shadow

ARCHER, get a ball of string. Run it out the drivers side window to the left wiper. Loop it thru and continue to the right wiper loop it thru and run it in the passenger window. With the string in your left hand and your wife holding the string in her right..... :laugh:

ARCHER

Shadow, great idea. Will put it on cruise control and just work the string issue.
Chelse, I'll try it tomorrow.
S.Harrington, I didn't know there was a circuit board for wiper blades, where is it located on the Chevy Chassis. Relay located where?
tks all.... ;)

hertig

the wiring harness goes from one part of the system to another. So you would have a harness from the switch to the controller, and possibly one from the controller to the motor. In some (probably most) cases, the controller would be mounted on or next to the motor. The delay module would likely be inside the controller, unless it was an 'add-on', which was common 30 years ago but I'll bet rare today.

I once had problem in a GM car with the harness which went from the switch on the steering column, down the column and to the controller. The turning of the steering column wore through the insulation.