Wireless Internet Service

ARCHER

OK, all you fine folks! I just got a real nice present from our Son ... A Laptop. It has wireless features for using it.
Now I need help (I think I saw it in this forum, but can't fine it) on determining how to and who to contact for setting up access to the internet via this laptop while we are moving from location to location. I was going to try and get a telephone line installed at our Winter location, but if I can use this laptop via the wireless/Sat feature, I want to go that route.
I currently have Verizon Wireless for telephone service while we are out and about, but I don't think it works for internet service.
Help me or tell me who I need to contact for this feature.
Appreciate the help. Sorry, If I'm asking the same question that someone else asked, but I just could not find the answer.
Regards... :)

bombdiver

Try Verizon wireless, it costs around $80 a month but has the greatest coverage area. You get an air card that slides into the side of your computer and away you go. I'v had mine for 4 months and love it. If there is Verizon cell phone coverage in the area you are you can use it and it's faster than dial-up, the $80 a month is for unlimited usage.

ARCHER

Bombdiver,
tks for the input. Have you tried the satelite type internet service at all? I guess you would need to be connected for Sat TV (dish or direct tv types) in order to use Sat for internet service.
I have Verizon and will check them out for internet service. My only issue with them is that for our Winter months the location we stay at is a hit and miss on their service. If I go 1/4 mile North it is fine, but from the park it sometimes cuts us off in the middle of the conversation due to poor reception. I would not want to be cut off in the m iddle of using internet service because of that.
tks again

hertig

Archer, have you looked into a passive repeater? Put a big, high gain antenna on the top of your winter location, cabled to a small antenna/radiator inside the room you where you compute the most. The height and gain of the antenna could compensate for the poor reception if the signal is just weak. Or if you can get a card for the laptop which allows attaching an antenna, you could wire the laptop to the high gain antenna (not as nice as wireless, but probably better reception). Of course, if the signal is blocked at your location, no antenna will probably help any.

ARCHER

John,
tks for the input. I'm not sure what a passive repeater is??? We do get a signal most of the time from Verizon, but once in a while it will be really weak and will cut us off during calls. If I were to put a high gain antenna on top of MH, do I have to connect it to anything in the MH, like laptop, wireless phone??? If not, does the antenna just bring in the signal a little stronger automatically? I was thinking of subscribing to the Verizon plan that does provide a card for laptop that gives unlimited access to the internet for about $80.00 per month. I was also going to check to see how much SouthBell would charge to hookup a phone line to my RV (if I did that, I would be able to use the laptop (already programmed for AT&T worldnet--at home and on laptop), but have had trouble contacting them to get quote on installation and monthly fee. I have SBC at home now for phone service, but have not tried them for help.
Appreciate your feedback. Tks ;) :cool: :laugh: :)

hertig

Archer, a passive repeater is 1 antenna connected to another antenna. In order for it to be of any use, one of the antennas needs to be of a type and in a location where it can receive the signal. The other is in a location where you need to use the signal. When a signal hits the primary antenna, it induces a signal in the wire, which then is 'retransmitted' by the secondary antenna. Works in reverse when you transmit at the use location (secondary receives, primary transmits). Don't know how practical this is for a house, but I've seen car kits offered, which have a magnetic antenna on the roof wired to a flat, square antenna inside the car.

Even better, but more of a hassle, would be to put a big honking antenna on the roof (or other location where it can get a good signal), and wire that into the laptop.