Wiring Problems

sepisllib

Since replacing the inverter in my Tourmaster last month I have been putting off the job of installing the remote control for the unit.

In this case the entire wire had to be replaced as the old was entirely different with different ends and everything. The old system used 9 pin computer type connectors and then new system was a molded telephone type wiring end.

Today I tackled the job - had to pry loose the silicone rubber sealing the entry into the coach. As luck would have it the entry was up into a corner of the bedroom and then all the cables were tied together and ran under a cabinet, under the bathroom basin cabinet, under the shower and then up the center wall to the middle of the coach.

Had to locate and cut all the nylon ties along the way and some were extremely hard to locate and reach. There is no way I can reinstall the ties so I have to leave them loose.

Managed to hard-tape the new wiring to the old wiring and pull it through the inside ok.

Up and running - monitor and controls work well and now the only thing I have to do is install the new battery cables with the proper sized ones. (had to have the heavy duty cables made as no one carried anything heavier than size 2).

We are getting anxious for next may as that will kick off our ability to start taking a week or two a month and use our motorhome. By the next year then - 2006 we will be retired and intend to head out by the end of October and return sometime around the first part of April each year.

God Bless. Looking forward to seeing a lot of you folks out there and if you see us coming - please feel welcome and stop and visit.

Bill and Judy

eochy

TexasClodhopper

Wiring Problems

Bill & Judy: It is interesting to hear the details of your "renovation". As I am an electrical person (technician by training; engineer by necessity), I know just what you're going through. Sometimes I bet you just can't believe that anyone PLANNED to do something the way that it got done! ;)

sepisllib

Wiring Problems

TexasClodhopper - Hello!

It's nice to hear from someone that knows and understands.

I am no longer an electrician - but I received my electronics training in the air force back in 1960. Worked in that field for a few years and ended up working for a few years as technician in the city of Waterloo, Iowa controller systems (traffic lighting systems).

I ended up designing a system for one intersection that had 4 streets converging (which the engineers at the design companies said could not be done). The interesting part is - I did this in 1970 and that control system is STILL working as of today.

I left the electronic (also had to work often as electrician as the department was always short) - left there in 1971 and decided to be a cop for a while. Lasted until I retired from there in 1993.

Prior to retirement - and in 1987 - I returned to college and earned my MA in Management and OSHA compliance in 1991.

After retiring I left and went to Arkansas where I was the compiance coordinator for a Texas company that had 19 plants scattered all over Arkansas.

Left there and worked for a Springfield Mo company for a couple years and then returned to Osage Iowa to help care for wife's elderly parents.

Got bored and started my own company in the summer of 1998 and that was doing well - but then wife kicked me out in spring of 2002.

I moved me and my business to Cresco, Iowa and business is growing leaps and bounds and also ended up with another wonderful wife - Judy.

Plan on retiring soon - as soon as son comes up to speed and I get our toy working well.

How about a photo of your rig?

PS - www.artesiansafety.com and this goes to my company.

God Bless and see you soon.

Bill & Judy

mrwebman

Wiring Problems

Hey, how much did it cost you for that paint job? Wish my Tourmaster looked 1/2 as nice.

Cheers,
Dennis

'93 Tourmaster
Jeep Overland toad

quote:Originally posted by sepisllib

Since replacing the inverter in my Tourmaster last month I have been putting off the job of installing the remote control for the unit.

In this case the entire wire had to be replaced as the old was entirely different with different ends and everything. The old system used 9 pin computer type connectors and then new system was a molded telephone type wiring end.

Today I tackled the job - had to pry loose the silicone rubber sealing the entry into the coach. As luck would have it the entry was up into a corner of the bedroom and then all the cables were tied together and ran under a cabinet, under the bathroom basin cabinet, under the shower and then up the center wall to the middle of the coach.

Had to locate and cut all the nylon ties along the way and some were extremely hard to locate and reach. There is no way I can reinstall the ties so I have to leave them loose.

Managed to hard-tape the new wiring to the old wiring and pull it through the inside ok.

Up and running - monitor and controls work well and now the only thing I have to do is install the new battery cables with the proper sized ones. (had to have the heavy duty cables made as no one carried anything heavier than size 2).

We are getting anxious for next may as that will kick off our ability to start taking a week or two a month and use our motorhome. By the next year then - 2006 we will be retired and intend to head out by the end of October and return sometime around the first part of April each year.

God Bless. Looking forward to seeing a lot of you folks out there and if you see us coming - please feel welcome and stop and visit.

Bill and Judy

eochy