Wishful Thinking

akjimny

Seriously wishfully thinking about going to Sturgis this August. 3000 miles one way from Anchorage to there - should be able to make 1000 a day with me and my bro-in-law taking turns at the wheel.

Anybody else been there / going there? Any suggestions on where to camp?

If I can get the money together it would be a memorable vacation. Only bad thing is I have to drive thru Canada to get there.

LEN

If this is during or at the party or a week each side you WILL be 100-200 miles away for a camp ground. Or boondocking in a lot of heat in some farmers field. An unbelievable amount of people. I haven't been there in 20 years and it has grown allot since then. I flew in and out for the day so I could see all the people. Other than that just call call call and you might get a cancellation. Anywhere is better than nowhere.

LEN

akjimny

Thanks Len. I know to expect a lot of people, but it should be better then next year's event. This will be the 74th anniversary and I figure the 75th will really be packed, so that's one reason I was thinking about going this year.

I've been doing some research on the RV Park Reviews website, but I haven't called for reservations because this is still in the "Maybe" stage. Depends on whether mu bro-in-law can come up with his share of the gas money. I love him but I'm not going to totally finance this vacation.

If it comes down to it, we can boondock since the motorhome is self-contained. Might have to make a run somewhere to dump and gas up but it's do=able.

dfedora

Hi Jim
You can buy a lot of air fare for what it will cost in Gas especially in Canada to drive 6000 miles
That's why I fly back east leaving the jeep and rv's up in Wasilla . $3500.00 in gas verses $150. to fly back to Boston last October.