Wolmanized wood in new RVs - A quality issue

Edwin Smith

Are any RVs made using wolmanized wood? I'm on our second one, a used one. It has floor rot. I can fix it, just wish I didnt have to. The first one was a new Lance Camper. Two years into owning it, wood rot was discovered on one of the hold down mounts by the frig. I fixed that. Lance just said "sorry, we'll fix it for a ton of money". I decided at that point I wouldnt buy any more new RVs since I could pay a LOT less to have the same problems. Which is where I'm at now. I'm about at the point of buying a 28' derelict and stripping it down to the metal frame. Restore the frame and axles, then build my own RV using wolmanized wood instead of the cheapest wood the RV mfgers can find. I have other friends that RV and wood rot is pretty much everybodies biggest fear. Some leaks just dont show up until the damage is done. Nobody will buy a used RV (knowingly) with wood rot. And I cant bring myself to selling one knowing that it has wood rot. So you get stuck.

Sorry just venting a little. I love to RV but have to keep within my means.

Edwin

Gary B

Hi Ed, I just have to ask what in the world is wolmanized wood, I've never heard of it?????
And you are wrong many folks buy rv's knowing there is wood rot damage, WHY I DON"T KNOW, I agree with you I'd would never do it but folks do all the time.
:) :laugh: :cool: :approve:

Grandview Trailer Sa

I am not aware of any manufacture using wolmanized wood in their frames or floors. There may be, but I just don't know who. I can order it as an option in my cargo trailers.

Ed H.

One reason they don't use Wolmanized (pressure treated) wood is weight. Pick up a 2x4 that is treated and one that isn't. You will find a huge difference in weight.
There are also health issues with the chemicals used to treat the wood. I do know that there are restrictions (I'm sure they vary by state) on where such wood can be used in residential construction and some of these may cary over to RV's also.
The added cost is another issue altogether.

Ed H.

One reason they don't use Wolmanized (pressure treated) wood is weight. Pick up a 2x4 that is treated and one that isn't. You will find a huge difference in weight.
There are also health issues with the chemicals used to treat the wood. I do know that there are restrictions (I'm sure they vary by state) on where such wood can be used in residential construction and some of these may cary over to RV's also.
The added cost is another issue altogether.

Poppa

Here I go again sticking my biggs Italian nose in there.

Actually the issue is an environmental one . The chemicals used in treating the wood arm on the EPA's hit list. Be careful where you use them. Or course there are a couple the are human friendly I suppose but I have not heard of any.