Workhorse engine noise

gbarngrover

I have a problem with my workhorse engine. It's a 2000 model 454 with fuel injection. A noise, the closest description would be a valve ping, that developes in lower gears under load. This started at about 3000 miles. I have had it in several times both in and out of warranty. They have changed fuel filters, plug wires, dist cap. The plug wires seemed to soften the noise a little and high test gas helps some but 42,000 miles and it's still there. Would appreciate and suggestions?

C Nash

Workhorse engine noise

I think it has a spark retard (knock sensor) on the engine and it coulb be disconnected Are there any codes stored in the computer?

gbarngrover

Workhorse engine noise

I think you are correct, my boat has the same basic engine but marine and it has a knock sensor an or timing controlled by computer. I can't tell for sure if the noise is a knock like a valve ping or a rattle or something in between. When I run it with the cover off it sounds like the niose is comming from the area around the fuel intake throttle body. I might have to find another place for service, when I was under warranty they would either say they can't duplicate the problem or replace the fuel filter. Now that it's out of warranty they are replacing parts.

C Nash

Workhorse engine noise

Have you had anything off and possible let something get on top of a piston? Carbon is also a possibility

C Nash

Workhorse engine noise

can't stay on line long enough to get into details. Keep gettiing bumped off. Any help here on computers :angry:

gbarngrover

Workhorse engine noise

Nothing has been off the engine and I don't think it's carbon since it started at about 3000 miles. Thanks

C Nash

Workhorse engine noise

spark knocks generally occure when the engine lugs in higher gear. Does the ck engine light ever come on?

gbarngrover

Workhorse engine noise

Now that you mention it I remember knocks being in higher gears from past problems with cars. The only time I have the engine light come on is in rain, I have the same problem of drawing water in the air intake as others have had and Newmar has offered no help. Any way no the light does not come on. The problem is really hard to duplicate here in Florida with no hills and that is where I have it serviced.

C Nash

Workhorse engine noise

check with a local GM dealer to see if there have been any bullentines issued on this problem. Also check to see if there have been any updates on the onboard computer. if you have a infared thermometer get temp readings off each cyl exhaust. Could be a lean burning cyl

"007"

Workhorse engine noise

gbarngrover----I may have a fix for your rain an engine service light problem. The fix works for my 03-KS-3740 W-22 an many other Newmar owners. Newmars fix does not work. The fix is on page 2 of this forum under "Newmar & Fleetwood owners water in air intake". Also more information on irv2.com, Newmar Owners Forum.-----"007"

gbarngrover

Workhorse engine noise

I will check with GM. I can check the exhaust temperature on each cyl. I let you know if I find anything. Good Idea. Thanks

gbarngrover

Workhorse engine noise

I looked at the fix for water in engine and will try it. Thanks
The experience I have had with Newmar onver the last 4 years has been bad.