would like some feedback re; rv purchasing

Sunny

I WROTE A MONTH AGO AND DIDN'T GET ANY REPLIES, WE WOULD LIKE ANY FEEDBACK REGARDING PURCHASING CLASS C MOTORHOMES,, FOR EXAMPLE EVEN IF IT LOOK GOOD, IS PURCHASING AN RV THAT IS A 1985 SOMETHING WE SHOULD AVOID. I AM THINKING IS THERE GOING TO BE MAJOR MECHANICAL
WORK NEEDED, OR DO THESE RV'S BUILT TO LAST A LONG TIME. LIKE I SAID BEING NEW TO THIS, WE DON'T KNOW WHETHER WE SHOULD DROP $20,000.
ON HOMES OF ALMOST 20 YEARS. WHAT IS THE LIFE EXPECTANCY ON THEM?

ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE APPRECIATED............THANK YOU......

ARCHER

Sunny,
Always remember...Buyer Beware! :(
Now for a little info. I bought a 1989 Class A last August that only had 5,800 miles on it. the inside looked like new and the outside almost. The tires were dry cracked (I replaced the outer tires). Everything seemed to work just fine (I did not check water system or Frig).
After I got home I decided to take it to Winn dealer and pay them $300.00 bucks to check it from top to bottom and front to rear. They found a few items that needed replaced. I ended up spending a little more than I would have, but felt secure in the fact that a dealer had checked it all. Got to Florida and had a prob with refrigerator that cost me $300 but I got took and fixed it myself for less than $4.
I guess what I am trying to say is that no matter how much checking you do or have done your gonna get some things that go bad just because of the age.
I would say the most important parts to have checked would be:
1. Engine
2. Transmission
3. Brakes
4. Tires
6. Propane system (for leaks)
7. LP detector that is working
8. black/gray water tanks for leaks/operation
5. Operation of Frig, hot water tank, lights
6. Siding condition for leaks (leaks anywhere..important :8ball:
Good luck

TBland

We purchased a 1990 Class A MH with 68,000 miles on it. Before buying we thoroughly checked everything we could. We ran every appliance, water pump etc. It came with all original manuals for everthing and we talked to previous owners. We didn't take it from the lot until we were satisfied everthing was working and what wasn't working the dealer fixed BEFORE we took her home. Take it for an hours drive to find out how it handles, and spend an hour in it as if you were camping to make sure you are comfortable with the layout.Be an informed consumer. Talk to others that have the same model or make and check the internet forums for feedback regaring the unit you have chosen . Good hunting.

BarneyS

For some of the things you should look out for, especially water damage, go to this website. It documents, with pictures, the process a guy went through to rebuild an older motorhome. Very interesting read!
http://www.picturetrail.com/clubmaxxpch
Good luck.