Yellowstone

phshon

I'm making my first RV trip during the middle of May. I've rented a 31' class A gas and I'll be traveling west from Chicago to Yellowstone via Rt. 90. Normally when in my car I would drive almost straight through, but in the motor home I'm thinking 400 to 450 miles a day is good. Any interesting stops or overnight RV parks you can suggest, I figure it will take me three days to reach Yellowstone. Yes, I have my Trailer Life Directory. Adults only just want to have fun for a week and a half or so.

Mike M.

Yellowstone

quote:Originally posted by phshon

I'm making my first RV trip during the middle of May. I've rented a 31' class A gas and I'll be traveling west from Chicago to Yellowstone via Rt. 90. Normally when in my car I would drive almost straight through, but in the motor home I'm thinking 400 to 450 miles a day is good. Any interesting stops or overnight RV parks you can suggest, I figure it will take me three days to reach Yellowstone. Yes, I have my Trailer Life Directory. Adults only just want to have fun for a week and a half or so.

Hi
Don't forget the Bad lands and Wall drug store.
The you have Mount Rushmore and all the sites in that area. While in the Mt. Roushmore area. Check out a place call Evens Plunge (an artiesion well swiming pool), it seems to me it is south of Rushmore about 20Mi. In a little town of Evens I think. Also a town called Deadwood.
Then there is a state park in that area with wild burrows that can be hand fed (cherios is a good choice). Kids will love that.
Then there is Devel's Tower. That is an exceptional side trip.
Mike M.

Mike M.

Yellowstone

I forgot to mention if you are a SCUBA diver. Dive Yellowstone lake it is breath taking and I am not just talking about how cold the water is. I am talking about the lava flows and structures underwater. Take a good heavy wetsuit at least 5mm. Both times I dove it, it was in July and the water temp. was 35 degrees. Also make sure you have a copy of the high altitude dive tables. The rangers will ask for it when you check in. If you contact some of the local dive clubs you might be able to get a local partner who knows his way around the lake and the best places to dive.
Don't forget to check out Cody Wy the Grand Tetons and of coarse Jackson hole.
Mike M

Wind River

Yellowstone

I would suggest you check www.nps.gov/yell for the seasonal road openings for 2006. I heard on the radio yesterday all the roads in the park may be open by Memorial Day, weather permitting.