Yet another towing question

Aekisu

2002 Chevy S10 4X4

2006 Hi-Lo 2706T

The S10 docs say:

"Maximum trailer weight is calculated assuming the driver and one passenger are in the tow vehicle and it has all the
required trailering equipment. The weight of additional optional equipment, passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle
must be subtracted from the maximum trailer weight."

My S10 version is rated for a max trailer weight of 5500 pounds.

The Hi-LO UVW is 4379 pounds.

I'm aware if the advantages (low wind resistance & low center of gravity) of the Hi-Lo but I still wonder, am I asking too much of my S10?

Dennis

rlmurraysr59

Re: Yet another towing question

I agree with Texas Clodhopper. You have wind to deal with even if the trailer is low. And big trucks are going to blow you around like crazy even with a sway bar attachment. Plus that is probably dry weight on the trailer and anything you put in it like clothes, food, equipment, water, etc., is going to add to that weight. And a V6 is going to work really hard at pulling it up a good sized hill let alone a mountain.

Better get a bigger tow vehicle. Just my opinion. Travel safe.

Aekisu

rlmurraysr59 - 7/10/2006 8:39 AM

I agree with Texas Clodhopper. You have wind to deal with even if the trailer is low. And big trucks are going to blow you around like crazy even with a sway bar attachment. Plus that is probably dry weight on the trailer and anything you put in it like clothes, food, equipment, water, etc., is going to add to that weight. And a V6 is going to work really hard at pulling it up a good sized hill let alone a mountain.

Better get a bigger tow vehicle. Just my opinion. Travel safe.

As you can imagine, it's certainly not the answer I was hoping for. I like my small truck, the gas mileage, and the payment.

I read on another site that someone should figure being able to handle a maximum of 80% (of the maximum weight your rig can handle).

Sigh...

ziggy355

I agree with the rest of the folks, too much for the s-10, think of the brakes, they arent the biggest on your truck and they will really be working hard, even with trailer brakes, it would only promote faster wear on your braking system, and the transmission too. Yeah too much.

texasnorm

RE: Yet another towing question

In 1956 I (we) towed a 33 ft house trailer thet weighed 8000# from Valdosta Georgia to Phoenix,Az. with a 56 chene 6 sedan.

We made if but I swore "Never again will I let the tail wag the dog.

I now tow a 24 ft 5th wheel with a 3/4 ton V-10 Dodge.

It handles the load well and I don't panic every time I have to stop. ;)

DL Rupper

Your S-10 can not tow the trailer. Plain english without imbellishments. :angry: :bleh:

C Nash

If a new tow vehicle is not in the future, you might look into a pop up. Don't tell anyone but I had purchased a 30 ft Airstream ,had to get a buddy to tow it home with his F350, and wanted to go camping. Had not bought a tow vehicle but had a S10 Blazer small V6. Towed it 15 miles to the nearest park and had a great time, after we got there :laugh: Sure glad I never had to stop quick. Didn't have to worry about quick take offs. Long time ago and was young and dumb.

TexasClodhopper

Thanks for reminding me of our first travel trailer. I was going to do for my new family just what my daddy did; go camping! Well, we ended up going halves with another couple on a 17 foot Shasta with a straight bumper hitch; nothing else. I even had someone install a hitch on our '80s Olds wagon with the new powerful V6 engine.

Our friends towed the trailer home from the seller's house and backed it into our driveway. Man, don't you know how many trips we made from the house to the trailer loading that thing up for our first camping trip!

To make the long story short, couldn't even drive it over 35 mph! We all hopped in that morning happy and ready to go, but didn't even get to the interstate! That overloaded trailer pushed that car all over the road! I wasn't sure I was going to get it back to the curb in front of our house!

Our friends saved our vacation by coming over the next morning with their 1/2 ton truck and we all went to the lake! That's when he decided that even with his 'truck' we needed a few extra hitch components.

Padraig39

Hi! After buying a Sonoma (GMC S10) Crew Cab, V-6, 4x4, I bought a light-weight travel trailer (wrong order of purchase ... I know). The Sonoma's towing capacity is 6000 lb.; the trailer, unloaded, is 3500 lb. Lots of room to spare, right? Well, on a good day - when it was not too hot (this is Canada ... many trailering days are cool-ish), the combination worked pretty well. With an anti-sway bar, no problems at all from the big trucks. :)

However, even if it is a light-weight, my TT is built with a big front, and that still catches the wind. And, on a hot day, the little truck just didn't have the radiator for the job. :-( In summary ... I'm picking up a 2004 Tundra tomorrow, to replace my little Sonoma. :) The Tundra has only 6500 lb towing capacity, but should handle the job better. And, yes, I'd appreciate anyone's comments on that combination.