Youngest fulltimers?

hamiltonrandy

My wife and I have been full time RVing for over two years now (are we the youngest FTs here? 36yo) we have a fun site compiling our travels and favorite things and a place for others to post theirs. If you are bored check it out at DogParksandBrewPubs.com Have a good one! Would love to hear of other young full timers as we have come across only 50+ usually.

36.5' 1998 CruiseMaster

TexasClodhopper

Re: Youngest fulltimers?

Hey, get out of here! This forum is for old folks! :eek: ;) Yeah, I'm just kiddin'! Welcome to the forum, kids!

Great web site you have there, with great graphic design. I hope you can maintain it on your lavish lifestyle. :laugh:

I was a little bit disconcerted that you designed your web site on a Mac computer and your "One Shoe Diary" only has LEFT shoes in it! :clown:

I'm going back to your site and see if I can get lost!

www.DogParksandBrewPubs.com

Kirk

You just travel in the wrong circles. We meet younger folks who are full-time every once in a while. But most of them are a little more subtle about the age difference. In time you will find that age is not a big deal. But you aren't likely to ever find a majority of folks your age who full-time because most of us are retired and most of those who are not choose to have some kind of career in order to one day be retired. Nothing wrong with your choice, but you are not likely to ever be the majority. Welcome to the fulltime lifestyle.

hamiltonrandy

Thanks, we understand the age thing is not always an issue as we have met several nice older couples. Thanks for the welcome here. And as far as me being a Mac user, it really is the only way to compute :) :) :) If you think otherwise, it is because you have never owned a Mac. Gotta love the windows crowd and their loyalty to spyware and virus prone systems. You crack me up.

deniloo

RE: Youngest fulltimers?

Hey hamiltonrandy.....glad to know that age isn't ALWAYS an issue. Guess if I meet up with you in some CG somewhere I better stick to my own kind....well I'm only 49 so am I over the age of being old or am I ok for another year? I guess I'll have to research all this age stuff on my windows but I will be careful of all the viruses out there. :blackeye:

hamiltonrandy

Funny how when I want to hang with people my own age I am discriminating, but it is just fine to have 55 and older parks. I did not say there is anything wrong with older people, hell my mom is one :) , I just do not have grandchildren, my dogs like other dogs, I am not retired, I do not take any medications, I have all original parts still on me, I do not like George Bush, we just do not have anything in common other than we both live iin RVs. Try being my age and go to an RV Rally and see how many people look at you like you have two heads because you are the only person under 55 there. What is wrong with me looking for friends my own age, why are you offended by that? As far as windows vs mac, come on....there is no comparison. Kinda like saying a gas coach is just as good as a diesel, it is because they have never owned a diesel coach.

TexasClodhopper

Well, Randy, you'll have to admit that your only purpose to be RVing is as a source of income where most full-timers are RVing after they quit making money.

I'm sure you're not writing a book on the lifestyle, just the points of interest and places you visit. You must understand by now that you are an anomoly in the RV world. Usually this is a retirement or headed-for-retirement activity.

And, by golly, I just don't WANT to talk about my age. :eek:

And its never a good time to bring up your politics, your choice of computer, or your choice of car maker. :evil:

DL Rupper

Randy we love you. :clown: I'm not sure all your parts are working though. You know the one that sits on top of your shoulders. I retired at the old age of 51, but no one held that against me. Well maybe my kids were embarrassed because I no longer worked, but I got along with all those older retired folks in their RV's. now i are one. Relax and enjoy the lifesyle. :laugh:

hamiltonrandy

Everyone here tries to tell me age does not matter. But it does and we found that out the hard way. Try going into one of the campgrounds in Florida during snowbird season as a young couple. It is as if the music stops and they all look at you. My wife and I went to play shuffleboard at a park and an older woman had the nerve to come up to us and tell us "we were on private property and if we did not leave she was telling management". and yes I told her to go to hell. If we were over 55 would she have come up to us??? I have had park staff come up to us at the pool and ask if we were staying there, would they have asked a 60 year old couple that? I have met several older couples who snubbed us because of age, I know because they told us after we became friends eventually. And take for instance, the one guy when he heard we were full time said right away "Must be nice, I had to earn a living and raise kids for 32 years before earning the right to be out here full time". And another "you should get your act together first, raise a family then go full time" and even had one lady at a function tell me to "grow up, get a real job and move to a house". And twice now coming into campgrounds when I asked what the rates are, I got "sorry we do have sites for tent camping" my response was "good because my class A coach wont fit in them anyway" and I walked out to stay somewhere else. Now I realize this may not be the majority of older folks mentality. We have two older couples that are great fun, we have visited parks, wineries and restaurants together, they are WONDERFUL people, but they admit they were put off at first when we rolled in because of our age. But it is enough of them that are like that to make me want to find some younger people once in a while. Now if there is something wrong with wanting to be around people of your own age sometimes, then get rid of the 55 and over parks where they want to be around people of THEIR own age. Now if you look back on this post the first person who broght up that I was essentially discriminating against age, was an older person, funny how he felt put off by me asking about same age RVers. And as far as my book, no it is not about places of interest nearly as much as it is about the lifestyle of RVers. They fascinate me with how they think and live. They are a different breed for sure. When you are the minority in situations you see things so different. The rich pompous diesel people with their big ol Essex or Prevost, the friendlier gas and class B crowd, the "could go either way" fifth wheel crowd, the hermits in their 30 year old coaches, the hill billy weekenders in their travel trailers, the long termers with their park models, it is all so hilarious when you step back from it all. And DL Rupper, 51 is a lot different than 35. 16 years of wisdom and experience :) I enjoy the lifestyle just fiine, I can explore this great nation of ours before I get too old to be able to. Good day to all of you, hope you understand a little more where I am coming from before sayiing my parts aint working right.

DL Rupper

Hey Randy, I poke everybody in the eye sooner or later. Just seems to be my style. I guess I took offense at the remark about older folks not having all of their origanal parts. At my advanced age, I might lose one of mine any day now. One can never tell.

I think it would have been fun to be a fulltimer at your age. We had to wait until I could retire at 51. We have 12 years of fulltiming behind us and wouldn't trade any of them for anything. It has been great. Like I said previously, our kids were embarrassed because I retired so early and we took off to see the U.S. Just wasn't proper. Actually when we started out we got a few looks because of our young and tender ages. We couldn't get in the 55+ Parks then either. We just went somewhere else. Now we go to the 55+ parks if there are any available because we don't like to hear and put up with noisy kids. Don't like noisy dogs either, but it seems like all the old timers have noisy, poopy dogs. Oh well can't have everything. They probably think I'm noisy. We don't seem to get many stares anymore. I guess we fit right in now. Great lifestyle.

I did notice you haven't mentioned the one group of fulltimers that seem to be filling the RV parks up more and more. I'm talking about the YOUNGER set that live fulltime in TT's and 5th wheels with their children. Most of them are semi-nomadic following construction and seasonal jobs. However, alot of them just live in RV Parks fulltime because of the lower cost of living in an RV. I would have thought since you were writing about the RV/fulltime lifestyle you would have plenty of material about these folks.

Hang in there and keep having fun fulltiming. Its a great life. :laugh:

hamiltonrandy

They are not nearly as interesting as the traveling full timers, they are more like living in apartments basically in different towns, just on wheels. They do not have the right mind-set, they are following work and surviving. I want more light-hearted fun stories. And I thought I was the one that poked you in the eye:) :)

DL Rupper

Hey you naughty youngster. I found another thread on the competitor RV forum with the same subject. I'll bet you can't guess who the author was. You start out stating you are looking for other young fulltimers, but me thinks you are really trying to agitate the older crowd. Am I wrong or do you have some sinister agenda to keep the old verses young theme going. I say this because on the other forum you don't really have too much to say to the younger responders, but seem to like to goad the older folks on. Maybe it is just my imagination. You know when you get past a certain age you tend to get paranoid and halucinate alot. Your problem on this forum is that you seem to be the only young fulltimer. :clown: Oh well maybe we can keep you amused. :approve: Please keep on trying, I'm just starting to have fun. You know when you get past a certain age you tend to get bored and any little diversion makes your day. So Randy, please keep making my day. :evil:

C Nash

See Randy, we aint to bad when you get to know us. great to have a young mind on the forum. You done made a friend of old diesel smoke and we nearly ran him off when he first came on the forum. Blow the chip off your shoulder and enjoy the lifestyle. If you start questoning every thing we say you gonna be miserable traveling. Grin and bare us. You will be one of us one day and look back and be envious of those kids that don't have aches and pains and can remember what they did yesterday oh well an hour ago but, forgetting is great. Can go there today and back tomorrow and each time seems like the first. Let me see now, how do I post this thread? Done forgot :laugh: :dead:

hamiltonrandy

Actually I had no sinister plan to rile the older folks up, i sincerely was looking for other young fulltimers. Maybe to exchange stories because whether it is real or concieved we are often snubbed and treated differently out here. But in defense of them, once they find out we are full-time and have no kids they act totally different towards us, like they accept us into the fulltime group. What happened here to start me going was when one fellow snidely said, "sorry you do not want to talk to the older folks, we were busy raising kids for 32 years when we were your age". All I wanted was to know if we were the only ones out here on the road around our age. People got defensive from it and flamed me, so I struck back with the 55+ parks post being discrimination ( a harsh word to get peoples emotions going) and it seemed to go downhill from there. And yes, there was some good material in there to write about, just want people to see the darker side of hitting the road as a younger couple, there are obstacles and bridges to cross. I know I have a chip on my shoulder, I inheritated fro my father, I hate to come across close-minded people, inconsiderate people and rude people. I need to learn to just let it go like my wife says, I am learning but it is a struggle when people do things like leave their howling dogs chained outside all night and such...but I digress. This has been fun though and educating, Thanks

DL Rupper

Randy, the term Agent Provocateur comes to my mind. Do you see any similarity in your quest to seek material to write about? It has been fun. Wish you the best of luck. Hope you continue to enjoy your full-timing activities and find lots of good material. :cool:

katbyte

When we first started full-timing, I was 39 hubby was 41. :)

We were always the youngest at rallies, campgrounds, just anywhere full-timers were, and boy did we meet the greatest people on earth who never ever treated us differently or made us feel out of place. Just the opposite in fact.
If you feel discriminated against, look at yourself for the reason, not outwardly. :evil: I can not imagine any full-timers treating you any way, but welcoming. I am now 61 and still see many of our friends we originally met as full-timers, many in Livingston Texas at Escapees, some at other rallies, etc. Some are now in their 80s and still the best friends we have ever had.

We still have a motorhome, but do not full-time.:(

If you keep feeling that age is even an issue, you will miss out on the best part of full-timing and meeting some of the best people in the world. It is 100% your loss, not theirs.:disapprove:

Now, I am sure you are aware that if things go right, you will someday get older. Maybe you will help welcome some younger RVers, just as we do.

Stormin

I'm 38 and wife is 32. We travel alot for business and pleasure with our kids.
We see people of all ages at RV parks and everyone is always friendly.
I learn alot from retired folks. They've been we we are going and we can learn alot from they're experience and wisdom.
We are never too old to learn and when I think I know it all, is when I became a fool. ;)

I was 28 when I first started to fulltime, but then I was single that lasted about 2 years, that was 24 years ago. Now I'm married and have been fulltiming in Colorado for the last 3 years, it was the best thing I think we ever did, we bought a mobile home for a base camp but we hardly ever go there.
Happy traveling :)