zx500 Concertone syero system

spudboy

We purchased a Forest River fifth wheel (Rockwood) last fall didn't have a TV got a LCD but can't figure out how it gets hooked up. Behind the TV there is only a video jack and a 12 volt jack. In a small department beside the tv area there are 6 or 8 more jacks no way to get cords to them(also with a 120 volt supply)would these be hooked up to the stero system and would the tv just plug into them. Any help wolud be appreciated.

Jay Dee

hertig

Re: zx500 Concertone syero system

When you say 'jack', what do you mean?

For instance, 'behind' the TV there is likely an 'antenna' jack (F connector) and 12 volt outlet to power/provide signal to a TV. Usually there is a switch next to the antenna jack, to turn on/off the signal amplifier. If this is the case, run a piece of COAX from the antenna jack of the trailer to the antenna jack on the back of the LCD. If the LCD has a 'wall wart' which provides 12 volt, then you can get a 12 plug to power it at Radio Shack or the like. If it uses less than 12 volt, you can probably get a plug in power supply from the same source. If it takes 120v straight, then you will have to find a place to plug it in (or perhaps get an inverter which plugs into 12 volts and provides 120v).

There is not enough information to address the 'small compartment' (I presume). What kind of jacks are they? Antenna or signal (RCA jacks) or other? Any labels or switches or manual entries or anything which will tell us what these things are for?

spudboy

Thanks for the quick reply John, No there is no antenna Jack, this jack is in the little storage space also. Just below the TV's space is where they mounted the Concertone Stero System and the Satellite Radio along with a small storage (it has a little spindle railing across the front. In this space there are AV1 and AV2 (Right,Left and video outlets) also the antenna with Aux/Sat and yes there is the on and off switch. But they(forest River) never put any path ways to run the wire up to the TV. In the TV space there is only 1 video jack and one 12 Volt power connection. Maybe a poor design but before I started making holes I thought just ask. Oh yes I have a 120 Volt TV but there is also a power plug in the space.

TexasClodhopper

Joe, be sure before you go making big changes. Most RV manufacturers make it real easy to add a TV. Usually, everything necessary is installed.

Perhaps you could find a local technician to point out some ways to hook your TV up?

hertig

yes, sounds pretty odd. I'd check the manual or dealer or other expert to see how to (if you even can) use a TV there. It almost sounds like it is designed for a monitor only up there, and the 'TV Tuner' is somewhere else plugged into the 'Concerttone', with all the TV sound coming through the stereo rather than the TV. What with the 'digital TV' tuners now available, this might be the hookup of the future :)

spudboy

I think you have it John. But a tv will work at least on DVD I ran a cord from the video jack behind the TV to the input of the TV And ignored the video 1 and 2 in the storage space. The DVD works fine, surround sound comes through the Concertone. I haven't tried the tv yet but plan to tomorrow when I can get a short COAX Cable. Thanks Texas, it was Real easy small hole between the panels to run the 120 volt cord. went from a small light 23ft fifth wheel and F150 (No TV) to 06 30.5ft Rochwood and 06 F250 6L Diesel. The wife likes the fact that she can stand and make the bed, so life may get better and we may do more RVing. Thanks again guys
Joe

TexasClodhopper

When I was 16, we (Dad, Mom, and 5 brothers) all went to Colorado (retraced their honeymoon trip) in a 16 foot TT pulled by a Chevy BelAir station wagon (2 speed automatic). (That Chevy even went up Pike's Peak!)

That 23 foot fiver would have seemed like the Biltmoore Mansion! ;) :laugh:

hertig

Yes a TV 'will work' as a monitor if it has external video input. However, you won't be able to 'watch TV' unless you have an external tuner, either built into the Concerttone or plugged into the Concerttone. I got one of the new 'digital' tuners, and rewired my entertainment center. So far I'm liking it, but have only used it in my driveway...

My first RV was a 24.5 foot fifth wheel which did not come with a TV. All it had were shelves (living room and bedroom) with the antenna/12v jacks. It may have had 120 volts also in the living room, but I don't recall for sure. The living room shelf was pretty flimsy (just a sheet of the 1/8" panelling they used for the walls), so I cut a sheet of thicker plywood to fit and put it in the frame, and then reinstalled the panelling over it. Then I fastened an AC/DC RCA TV/VCR to the shelf (those unshocked trailers bounce around pretty good), with a small portable DVD player next to the TV. Worked great! For the bedroom, I picked up a LCD TV from a used book store of all places and mounted it to the wall in a wood frame, with an auto DVD player below it. Just about the time I got it finished, I traded the trailer in, and the new RV has all this built in :)

Since the digital TV tuner does not have RF out, I rewired the entertainment center with a Radio Shack auto-sensing selector switch with built in RF modulator. Now I can watch any source (digital TV, DVD, VCR, cable, and Satellite if I ever get it) on the front TV directly, or any source on the rear TV over the RF cable.

spudboy

Thanks John I am going to save your stuff just in case I can't get the TV signal to work.
Tex: I was happy with the 23 footer, But the wife hated the low bed space. Found out a long time ago if the little woman is happy then a day, week or month does not seem to take as long to pass and the happiness is shared.
Have a good day everyone
Joe

hertig

There are probably several available, but the tuner I got was by Winegard, and I got it at Camping World. Fairly pricy, about $200. You may be able to get an analog tuner cheaper (perhaps even a radio which receives TV sound).

I tried running the audio output from my TV back into the entertainment system, but got feedback. But that was because I also had audio going into the TV; in your case it might work.