12V light bulb failure

Discussion in 'General RVing' started by johnnyP, Dec 18, 2008.

  1. johnnyP

    johnnyP New Member

    My 12 V light bulbs keep failing.
    I am plugged into 110V. My converter is working. HOWEVER, my 12 V battery is dead, but is connected.
    Should the trailer 12 V lights etc. work normally in this mode, or should I buy a new 12 V battery?
    Thanks,
    johnnyP
     
  2. ErnieEkberg

    ErnieEkberg New Member

    RE: 12V light bulb failure

    check to see waht volyage is coming into those 12 volt lights. Your converter may be going bad. What year and type rv do you have? That info would narrow things down a bit. Ernie
     
  3. Grandview Trailer Sa

    Grandview Trailer Sa Senior Member

    Re: 12V light bulb failure

    If your battery is dead, you should replace it. Because of that, you have caused your converter to work overtime and have probably led to premature failure. Get a new battery and maybe your converter will last a little longer.
    I also say get a voltage reading at the battery. If it is not correct, you may have to change your converter now, or you will ruin the new battery.
     
  4. johnnyP

    johnnyP New Member

    RE: 12V light bulb failure

    Thanks for the comments, guys.
    My rv is a 1999 Dutchman 31ft Classic GL. The fusebox says Magnetek 6300 Q Series. The converted is buried deep in a cabinet!!
    I checked the voltage at the wires where they connect to the battery (with the battery disconnected from the wires) and the voltage was 14.5 to 15 V (Seems about right for a 12 V battery).
    Anyhow, I bought a new battery as the old one (10 years old!) is dead and it seems like cheap insurance if I have not already damaged the converter.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Gotagonow,
    JohnnyP
     
  5. C Nash

    C Nash Senior Member

    Re: 12V light bulb failure

    let us know the results Johnny? Hope it cures the bulb problem.
     
  6. Grandview Trailer Sa

    Grandview Trailer Sa Senior Member

    Re: 12V light bulb failure

    Actually I think that is high voltage. Usually when we check voltage at the battery, we find about 13.5 volts. That can also lead to bulb failure.
     

Share This Page