3 M Film

We are preparing to travel to Alaska this summer. We are looking into having the 3M film installed on the front of our MH. Is this a wise move? Is it worth the effort and cost? How much of the RV do you usually try to cover? Just the front end or also part of the sides? Is it advisable to cover the area above the windshield? Lastly, how much could I expect to pay for this? Thanks for any advise you can give me.

C Nash

Re: 3 M Film

Robin we went in 04 and covered nothing on the MH. Maybe we were lucky but no damage at all. I did make a screen for the toad and had a full front cover. Grime got under it and did scratch the paint but not bad. Both will be filthy by the time you get there but there are places to wash. Get it off and be sure you wax both before going. I did put a screen in front of both vehicles for the bugs. I had no tire problem on either vehicle and no problems with finding gas or CGs. Watch for little red flags beside the roads. These warn of frost heaves. Watch the white road line and if it dissapers SLOW DOWN its a dip. Take your time and enjoy the seanery. Let those in a hurry go and you will see them broke down. Speed and the frost heaves do not go together. Be sure to take a sign to leave at the sign forrest. Take a hat to leave at the hat cafe. I will post more as it comes to mind. It's a trip you'll never regret.

jimkate

I realize this has nothing to do with going to Alaska, but.... last year we repainted our coach. Prep work was as expected, until it came to removing the 3M film on the front. We tried everything that anybody could recommend. By the time the film was removed, the entire front of our coach was really badly damaged. We were repainting anyway, so no big deal, some extra body work, and after the repaint, everything looks great.

The entire exercise left me wondering why we consider putting this film on? I understand it is to protect the paint on our coach. But, if we have to destroy the paint to remove the film, what is the advantage?

For now, I have decided to not install the film, and touch up and repair any damage as it happens. Until someone can persuade me otherwise.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Jim Sanderson
1995 Monaco Dynasty
Canada, eh? :cool:

Thanks for your for your input and your tips we really appreciate it! We can't wait to get started, we are planning our trip ( we have been for the last 6 months). The more we hear about the 3M the less sure we are about having it installed. It's also not cheap, I guess we just have to weigh all the the options and cost.

This has nothing to do with the 3M, but how far in advance do you recomend reservations for campgrounds? The problem with making them too far in advance is what if we decide to spend a day or two longer in a certain area we may lose our reservaton and our deposit. I know that there will be places that we should make a reservation due to summer months and availibilty. What kind of experience did you have?

Thanks,
Robin

C Nash

Robin, we made no reservations and had no problem going or coming back. Skagway was full on the 4 of July and they let us and other stay in a gravel pit until a spot came open. We did make reservations at Denali a week ahead after we got up there. You will find that it's better to not follow a time table IMO.

dfedora

Hi Robin
Alaska is a beautiful state to rv . In 2008 we spent the (2 months touring in Ak) We didn't make any advance reservation at any of the CG. The gas prices were out of sight that year $4.50/gal. Never let your gas tank get below 1/2 tank. gas stations are not on every corner..
( Milepost) is a must it will tell you so many things in advance. Like chelsa stated be very careful of the frost heaves. I saw vechiles get bounced off the road because of speed. In 2008 all three of the major roads were under repair and they closed them at 10pm - 6am to all traffic. Ak allows overnight parking in all of there pull off exept right around Denali state park.

Have a great time ALASKA WAS GREAT " THE LAST FRONTIER"

Can't wait to head back up MAYBE this summer
Dick F.
2005 Sunseeker

C Nash

The Milepost is a MUST. Forgot that Dick. Yes there will be road repair :laugh: The roads were no near as bad as some had led me to believe. Take it easy is the best advice I can give and enjoy. If I could afford it I would go back tomorrow.

RE: 3 M Film

Thanks for the advise, we do have a Milepost Travel Guide To Alaska and I am sure we will be using it! We also purchased the 2010 Good Sam Exit Now Interstate Directory. We are traveling from PA so we will be on the road for some time. I am thinking that I will make a few reservations in South Dakota, we want to spend about a week there before we head on up to Alaska via Canada and the ALCAN HWY. Good advise about the gas and the roads, I am sure we will take our time. If you have any favorite CG let me know. This is our 1st big trip since we purchased our MH last year, so any advise is much appreciated.

Robin :)

C Nash

Robin, we found it best to use credit card while in Canada. They do the conversion and its less hassle. We took a small amount of Canadaian currancy in case a cg did not take credit cards. If you never been to Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier take them in while that way.

Thanks for the advise. We are planning on doing some of the National Parks on the way. If we can't get in what we plan we are already thinking about next year. THERE IS SO MUCH TO SEE!

Robin :)