6v. batteries with generator?

bgouin

Hello,
I am new to the forum. We have a 30' 5th-wheel with an onboard, 4kw, Onan, 12v. start, propane generator. Our current batteries are 2 12v. Grp.24 DC (from Walmart) in parallel. The are getting tired and will need to be replaced soon. Our existing batteries can discharge on a cold night, (furnace fan is on a lot) such that the generator will not start. I have to go outside, plug in the truck, start the truck engine and wait until I can start the generator to charge the house batteries. I think that I can fit two Costco 6v golf cart batteries in the battery trays and hook them up in series. I know that I can fit two grp. 27dc marine batteries in the battery trays and this should provide additional reserve power (a little more than the grp. 24's), and is a good starting battery. The question is: although the 6v. gc batteries should give me a lot more reserve power for the 12 v. house requirements, will they crank over the generator? The weight per battery is similar for both types.

lrlong

Many 30amp motorhomes come standard equipped with 2-6V GC2 house batteries. They are generally wired to also be the starting batteries for the generator, so that would not be a problem. I suspect even the 2-6V batteries would be fairly low by morning when running a heater fan all night. They certainly will out perform your current grp24's.

C Nash

I have 2 6 volt workhorse batteries in our MH and never have a problem with them starting the Generator which is a Onan 550. Now if the batteries are dead thats another. No dead or very low battery will crank the gen. The 2 6 volt will be better IMO

LairdT

Walmart carries the Trojan T-105 6volt, which is about the best for rv's. they want about $200 each but I have seen them on the internet for $130.00 plus shipping. be sure to check how much room you have in your battery bay, nothing worse than new batteries that don't fit :)

LEN

You may also go to bigger 6 volts like the T-125 or the T-145 for more power. If you are hard core boondockers you can also, if enough room, go to four 6-volts of the cheaper Walmart or interstate four double the more power or there about. Or more $$$$ go to four T-105's like I run. Also the batteries do take a LOOOONG time to charge after a hard discharging, in the 4 hour charge time to get them back to full storage again. If you give us more info on your type of camping we can advise better.

LEN