A/C problem

elkhartjim

I can't get my rear a/c unit tocome on. Front works fine. I'm on 50 amp shore power. Checked the breaker and its ok. Any suggestions?

C Nash

Re: A/C problem

How long did you wait for it to come on Jim? Sometimes it takes mine a while to start. Have you tried it with the generator?

elkhartjim

Waited all night. Won't work with genset either. Tried with front one off, just the rear on...nope. Interestingly enough, I'm not sure the water heater will work on electric. Had to turn the gas on this morning. I don't know if there are any connections or not.

DL Rupper

What is the voltage reading at the 115 V outlet inside your RV. Sometimes if the voltage is too low the compressor on the A/C won't kick on. This happens in RV parks quite often when everyone is running their A/Cs. That's why I carry a Autoformer with me.

ironart

Did you check the "house Breakers"...??? Could be it just took a dump....They do that once in a while.. :( :(

elkhartjim

RE: A/C problem

I gave Nash wrong info. It runs on genset just fine. Turn genset off rear a/c stops. No fan, no nothing.

ironart

Do you have a 30 amp plug with an adapter that is plugged into the 50 amp service..????
My MH has an electronic sensor that knows if I am on the Gen (6.5KW) or plugged into the shore power. It doesn't know if I am plugged into 30 or 50 amps...
The electronic "lockout" will not allow the rear AC to run as long as I am connected to the "Shore Power" With Gen set on, I can run both. Just How it is.. :angry: :clown:

LEN

Are you sure you have your zone setting correct? Did it work then stop? Anything else without power?

LEN

Kirk

It sounds to me as though your pedestal has one leg of the 50A power that is not working. It could be as simple as a bad circuit breaker. The 50A one is actually two breakers, one for each phase, that are fastened together and which are supposed to operate together, and do when all is proper. But there is a good chance that one leg is not closed. If you are still there, I would first try opening the breaker on the pedestal, pause for 30 seconds or so, then close it. That might reset the open side.

If you have a meter, check from each leg to neutral (120V each), from each leg to ground (120V each) from one leg to the other (should read 240V) and then between neutral and ground.(Ideally this should be 0V but could see a few volts here without problem.) I suspect that you will discover that one leg is at 0V.

If the voltage were just low you would probably hear a loud hum when it attempted to start and the water heater would work but just very slowly. A meter is the only way to be sure.

elkhartjim

Tex and Kirk get the star. Bad breaker on the pedestal. Dang free county parks anyway. Thanks for the inputs from ya'll.

H2H1

Jim don't complain about it being free, if wasn't the breaker on the pedestal which was easy to fix and cost you nothering you could be in for a big bill for finding and repairing . Anyway glad you found it and it wasn't in your MH :laugh: :laugh: happy camping :cool:

DL Rupper

Hey Jim, get a 115 V plug in circuit polarity checker and check the shore power before hooking your RV to it.

TexasClodhopper

I'm only sharing what I remember somebody else here doing for me. Each one of us is picking up what we can from the group.

I'm appreciative to the others here every time I get out in my RV! :laugh: