Air ride helper springs on MH

Pillaz

I thought I would post my experience with putting in air helper springs on my 96 dutchstar with a ford f53 chassis.
Air ride says this is a 1-2 hr prodject per pair and that there is no drilling involved.
When the Kits arrived ( I did front and back) I opened the instructions and they say that you have to drill throught the frame.
While in theory this is a simple project for someone as handy as myself, It becomes more technical in reality.
I fortunatley have HWY leveling jacks that will lift tires off of the ground. I lift one wheel at a time and chock the other three. Then remove wheels and placed another jack under axle and set ride hieght. Then slide under and behind frame and find all the things you will drill through if not re-routed. Remove plastic clips, and bolts for wire harness fuel lines etc. Also remove bottoming out bumper The airbags and mounting bracktes are easy to put together but follow directions completely. Rears can pretty much be asembled and then set in place with the correct ride height. Bottom bracket bolts will have to be cut down for clearance. Then I drilled four holes thru frame and mounted the brackets. Then re-attached wireing harness, fuel line ETC. The airlines themselves were easy to run. Make sure you check for leaks and have at least 5ibs of preasure in them before lowerng the RV. Great Now you have one wheel done. Do the other side same way Except that there are no lines or harnesses behind the other side.

Now on to the Front Set. Much more fun.
As all sorts of steering parts get in the way of the bottom mounting brackets, the bottom bolts must be cut very carefully to provide clearance. The bottom brackets must be slid in sideways with one bolt already on for clearance and they must be perfectly placed or you will have prblems with the top brackets.
Un clip, unbolt all the cool stuf that is running inside the frame rail. Both right and left side front rails had stuff behind it which you DO NOT WANT TO DRILL THROUGH. Once everything is aligned tighten all bolts and re-attach lines that run inside frame rail. Run the airlines, again this is easy but make sure you check for leaks and use the rub protectors for the air lines as they run through holes already in your frame. There are lots of moving parts in the front suspension and you have to make sure that you have clearance for all of them.

Honestly, If there were an RV Dealer closer than an hour and half drive I would let them do it.
Air Ride says 1-2 hr It took me about 10 hrs to do all four.
Of coarse it did not help that I live in upstate New York and the weather went from rain to snow and back again while I was doing this project.

I did replace all four shocks while I was at it. I am very happy with the end result. The ride and stability of this MH are greatly improved and I highly recomend air helper springs.....Just get someone else to do it.

I hope this little missive helps someone out there, FORIDA NEXT WEEK
Rv weather will soon be upon us, praise the lord

:laugh:

Pillaz

Re: Air ride helper springs on MH

Sorry I read quickly and thought that you were from Bradenton, Ken

Pillaz

Hey is there anyone else out there trying to de-winterize their RV while its snowing? Old man winter is still hangin on. Weatherman says it will hover around freezing and snow or rain until the day we leave to head south where we hear there is a thing called a sun. Might even be a beach there.
I guess I will have to do the water lines last,

krsmitty

Pillaz - 4/5/2011 7:02 PM

Very near you. We are going to Fort De Soto

Yep, know it well. Where we went for our first camping trip in our first RV (TT) back in 2007.