ALFA 38 RTLS Generator and AC for bedroom only

swisherb22

I have a ALFA Ideal 2002 38 RTLS and I want to add a generator to my truck and do not know what size I need to run the two heat pump system I have. I would also like to put a roof AC in the bed room for just running that when we cant get 50 amp service. any body had any experience with that? My bedroom stays warm when it is real hot and I would like to be able to just cool it with 30 amp or less power when we can't get the 50 amp service. I want to put a generator in my truck to service the RV and trailer when I dont have power available. Any one have experience with that.

Triple E

Hello and welcome to RVUSA, :applause: I have two AC units and I can run both of mine on 30 amps. Figure out what the wattage's are of both heat pump and then we will be able to give you your answer.

tvman44

If you only have 30 amp service available, do what I did. Mount a power input connector on the trailer and run a extension cord from that to the 20 amp receptacle on the pedestal, then somewhere near your breaker panel mount 2 receptacles one wired to a breaker in your panel and the other to the aux. power input connector you installed. The all you do is move the 2nd A/C plug to the appropriate receptacle. If you need I can draw you a picture to better explain what I did. Works great.

akjimny

Hi Swisher and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. I would not go smaller than a 3kw generator and 5kw would be even better. 5kw should handle everything you want to run without having to turn something off before turning something else on. There is a formula for computing exactly how big a generator you would need, but it escapes me now. Maybe one of the other forum members can provide it. Good luck and post back to let us know how you do.:):)

krsmitty

Converting Amps to Watts

The conversion of Amps to Watts at fixed voltage is governed by the equation Watts = Amps x Volts

For example 1 amp * 110 volts = 110 watts: 30amp x 110 = 3,300 watts - 50amp x 110 = 5,500 watts.