Another question for you all...;-)

RitaGail 1

How does one travel, and have a laptop hooked up so you can get online? How does the wireless thingy work? I told you I was new at this whole thing, and no rolling your eyes...hahahaha....Rita

elkhartjim

Re: Another question for you all...;-)

Its simple Rita...works just like your cell phone. I use Altel and have travel 100's of miles and never lost service.

ironart

Hi Rita,

There are "Hot Spots" where a Wi-Fi connection works (as long as you are close to them) they are not everywhere but Mc Donalds, Starbucks, and Libraries, Hotels and Airports mostly have them....There are Thousands.....(ANOTHER BOOK) ...Camp Grounds have them but many have problems with them.....Poor connections and poor speed......

You have to be able to receive Wi-Fi with your computer..(another program and card to install) and have an antenna...(usually plugs into your USB port) and away you go....You computer will sense the presents of a signal (like radio) and will tell you if you can connect to the internet...

Once connected you will have internet...Skypi phone service and everything you get at home....

Have Fun

C Nash

Rita, some CGs have WIFI as does Mcdonalds, coffee shops. Truck stops and some welcome stations have wifi but you need to be careful because hackers may be in the area. You do have to have a wifi card to put in your computer or yours may be wifi ready. There are air cards that you can use where you have cell ph service. You can also go with different satellite services.

G

RE: Another question for you all...;-)

ok first off ,, no rolling eyes :) :approve: ,, next what and where do u want to travel ??? if u are refering to have internet while travling on the road ,, it is possible ,, but with a cell card ,, need more info on that one ,,,

The wireless ,,, if u'r at a CG (camp ground) some offer free wireless inet and some u have to pay for ,, the free ones have a antenna on one of the highest building they have ,, oops so does the ones u pay for ,, but more on that in a bit ,, any way on the free ones ,, when u ck in ask at the desk about the wireless ,, if it's free ,, they will give u a password to log on ,, if it's a have to pay for system ,, u will have to log onto their site ,, which btw usally happens in the free and paid for stuff ,, but on the pay for stuff ,, u will have to use a credit card to pay for the time ,, most offer 2 to 7 days at a time ,,, well i hope i did not confuse u ,, but if i did ,,, let me know on what parts u are still foggy on ,,, but i must say this ,, i tried :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;) ;)
oops forgot ,, on the free wifi ,, when u log on it will ask for the password u got from the office ,, then u go from there ,, but be sure u have a wifi ready laptop ,, and most new ones are what they call sat ready ,, which means they will pick up wifi ,, when it's avail :approve: :approve:

G

RE: Another question for you all...;-)

damn nash u beat me on the post for this :approve: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :eek: :eek:

Kirk

All of the answers are good, but they also assume that you now own a computer that is "wifi ready" and that you have it enabled and know how to make it work. If your computer is "wifi ready" it is nearly as easy as it sounds, when there is a "hot spot" near enough to reach. Unfortunately, many RV parks that have wifi either charge extra for it or then have poor coverage, or both. In some parks you will need a password from the park and others have a "splash page" which should come up automatically to give instructions. If planning to use that, always ask in the office when you check in.

There is another "wireless thingy" which you might be thinking of. It is what we call an "air card" and it will connect you to the internet via one of the cellular phone services. Several companies provide them but it seems that Verison has the best coverage, at least for now. With an air card you have to subscribe to the service and pay a monthly fee for service, much like with a phone. But the card connects to or plugs into your computer and is very easy to use. The major advantage to this kind of service is that as long as there is cellular coverage you will be able to use the internet on your computer, even when driving down the road. The reason that is good is that it also means that you will have internet when you spend the night at Wal-Mart or out along the road somewhere.

C Nash

And Jim and Paul beat me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Rod our fingers and puters are just to slow :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: