autoformer

H2H1

Ok I went and bought me a auto former while I was on vacation in Fl. Now I have a question for those who are lot more knowledge than I. My question is can I cut the male plug off and hard/straight wire it to the MH power supply and make a jumper cable from the shore power to the auto former. By doing this the auto former would hard wired direct to the MH power and all I would have to do is plug the supply wire into the auto former and shore power.

I thought this be better since the auto former isn't water proof and would inside a lock cabinet to prevent it from being stolen

DL Rupper

Re: autoformer

I've heard that some people hard wire them. I never have because, I just haul mine out when the voltage is LOW and plug it in and lock it down to the shore power with a cable lock. Mine has been out in all sorts of weather and so far hasn't leaked, but I notced a guy next to me put a bucket over his to keep the rain off. Maybe I need to get out the silicone and make sure mine is sealed.

TexasClodhopper

My power input is in the back driver's-side corner, so I bolted a bracket UNDER my MH there. I hang the autoformer there to keep it out of the rain, but mostly to keep it out of the SUN.

The rain won't hurt it near as much as the heat will.

Kirk

There is a model of the Autoformer that is designed to be hard wired into your RV. If you start cutting plugs and such on the one you just purchased, there will be no warranty or support from the manufacturer. I suggest that if you want to wire it in, return it and buy the one designed for that so that it will have a warranty.

barluis

RE: autoformer

I have an autoformer since 2005 and have used it nearly 90% of the places we go to. If there is no rain in the forecast I simply plug it at the shore pole secured with a bicycle chain. The autoformer is not a cure-all. You must check the pole for the level and quality of the electric hook up. I have found plenty of faulty ground connections.
When the possibility of rain is in the forecast, I set it inside the rear compartment with a fan blowing on it to keep it cool.

DARLING

If you have the model that is hard wired in...How do you keep it cool & not overheat in compartment?

Darlin :cool:

barluis

If you are going to install the autoformer permanently, care must be taken to assure there is plenty of fresh air circulating around it. So you may have to create a couple of holes in the compartment for ventilation. Weather and driving is a factor, so consideration to where these holes are made is critical.

I wouldn't install it. I simple make sure that the compartment is not totally closed and I also install a fan blowing on the main connection to keep it cool. So far, this has worked in all type of weather. Specifically during the Summer. No need of fan during the fall or winter.

Since the autoformer is not water proof, you main concern is to make sure that it doesn't get either immerse or very wet. I don't think moisture is problem for it. I have simply put a tarp on it when I suspect rain is coming and keep on a block of wood at least 4 inches above ground.

I am going to check if I can keep mine under the motorhome, hanging some where. That idea I read here sounds like the best of both worlds if you can keep it from getting immersed or totally wet.

TexasClodhopper

I installed an aluminum bracket ("L" shaped) right below the electrical connection box on my Winnie. My autoformer handle slips easily over this bracket. (I'm planning on a simple locking mechanism, too.)

The short extension reaches the autoformer, and the long extension reaches to the park power pole.

The autoformer hangs right beneath the MH floor shielded from the rain and doesn't sit on wet grass or dirt.

barluis

This DOES sound to me like the best way to handle the Autoformer. And yes, I would lock it.