batteries

hailo

hello all im new here, just purchased a motor home with a blown motor. so with that being said i will a bunch of questions coming im sure. but heres my first.
i was reading a manual and shows two 6 volt batteries conected for the coach. when we got there the guy we bought the motorhome from was putting in two 12 volt batters. is this ok on some coaches?
by the way this is a 1996 fleetwood southwind widebody 34 footer.
thanks in advance for all the up coming help

H2H1

Re: batteries

hello and welcome to the forum. I have a 2003 South wind with a 8.1 CHEVY. I have 2-6 volts batteries located under the stair going into the motor home. I do believe that 2-12 volts would give you 24 volts not the 12 you need. He / you can install 1-12 volt and you will get the same voltage required. I hope this helps you a out, good luck. :laugh:

C Nash

You can put 2 12 volts and still have 12 volts. All depends on how you hook them up.

H2H1

Well, like I said I really didn't know that . I did not know you could hook them up(2-12) and still get 12 volts.Thanks Nash, you will have to show me that so I will know. So which is better 2-12's or 2-6s volts.

Triple E

H2H1 - 6/25/2010 5:14 PM Well, like I said I really didn't know that . I did not know you could hook them up(2-12) and still get 12 volts.Thanks Nash, you will have to show me that so I will know. So which is better 2-12's or 2-6s volts.

I read a well writing article on the web about this question and I will be darn if I can find it. :( Anyway, the Author was trying to explain that with today's technology you will not find a difference between the two. ;) But you know me I will believe just about anything I read. :eek: Just ask Tex. :laugh:

The batteries in your flash light are in series, positive connected to negative,you add the voltage of each battery together. When you have the batteries tied together in parallel, positive connected to positive and negativeconnected to negative, the voltage stays the same. You can have 24-12 voltbatteries connected in parallel and you will have 12 volt output. 24-12 volt batteries in series your output will be 288 volts. :)

H2H1

Steven between you and Nash I have gather a lot information about batteries. However, I will stay with my 2-6 volts batteries as they are working well. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

akjimny

Two 6 volt deep cycle batteries wired in series (positive on one battery to negative on the other) will give you 12 volts output and longer usage time than one 12 volt or even two 12 volt batteries wired in parallel. There are several articles on Google at "RV Batteries in Parallel" that may help, hinder or confuse the heck out of you. JMO - I use two of the biggest 6 volt golf cart batteries I can fit in my battery compartment and haven't had any problems (yet). :)

Triple E

H2H1 - 6/26/2010 11:41 AM Steven between you and Nash I have gather a lot information about batteries. However, I will stay with my 2-6 volts batteries as they are working well. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last time I bought house batteries I came really close to buying two 6volts. Then I started thinking, which is bad for me, what if I need an extra 12 volt battery for the engine. So I went with two 12volt.:approve:

H2H1

well Jim we do what we have to do, right? so how are things go today for u?