Beginning the research of RVing

RovinRed

My husband and I are seriously thinking of joining the RV lifestyle. Can anybody recommend a good RV magazine to subscribe to?

H2H1

Welcome to the forum Rovingred, anyone of the 4 that Erniee mention would be a good start. However, this forum is your best bet. If you have any questions, just ask away and someone on this site will give you a answer. We have some very smart RVers on here, and this what we do, help each other out.

akjimny

RovingRed - If you are thinking about getting a trailer, read a couple of issues of Trailer Life. Likewise, if you are thinking motorhome, read Motorhome. You can get either at the bookstore. In my experience, these two magazines have some very good articles, helpful hints and ads. The Good Sam magazine you get free with membership in the Good Sam Club, which is also a good idea. I've never seen the Family Motor Coach Asssociation magazine, so have no opinion there.

But like Hollis said - if you have questions - post them here. We all try to help each other to the best of our ability.:)

RovinRed

Thank you, H2H1 and akjimny. I will post any specific questions. I like to read so getting a mag that covers a bunch of stuff would be nice. Curious about traveling cross country and various RV parks. We've never done this before and considered renting one to see if we like it but that's very expensive.

H2H1

yep, you are right Erniee, this fun time is not cheap, but that is what we enjoy so we plan our outting. But thing does brerak down and it is expensive. But what get me is the camp grounds that keeps going up and up.

RovinRed

Oh, we realize it ain't a cheap hobby. I just think renting a unit is throwing money away because I really think I would like RVing. What does a good camp ground charge?

H2H1

if you are a member of the military, active or retire, or retired government worker, then there are some places that are very good price. Take Destin Fl. there is a camp ground ran by the Govnt, and it cost 22 per night with FHU there is a pool for the kids, as well for adults. Now go to Fort Wilderness in Fl. that is in Disney World, they start off around $85 a night up to $110 a night. So I guess it is like buying a house, it all about location location location.

JCZ

Rovinred, we jumped off in to it without renting first.......I don't think anybody rents 5th wheels. We did do a lot of research and read as much as we could on all these RV forums. We also attended several RV Shows and asked other owners a lot of questions as well as the sales people. Generally speaking....we quickly learned that we could rely on information from other owners a lot more than we could from sales people.

There's a big difference in all types of RVs. For instance, a class A and a class C. The class A is going to have a lot more storage. Similar difference between a trailer and a 5th wheel. But yet with a trailer, you still have the pick-up that you can keep stuff stored in, if you have a shell on it. We have a 5th wheel and I have the large tool box back there that actually holds quite a bit. I keep other stuff (folding table, 2x6 planks for leveling, generator, gas can for generator, etc.) back there around the 5th wheel and still have all the storage space under the front of the trailer.

There's just a lot to learn. Some mfgs. (or sales people) will refer to a unit as being an all seasons trailer but there's a lot more to an all seasons trailer besides just heated holding tanks. A true all seasons trailer will have heavier insulation, thermal pane windows, the plumbing will be ran through heated space under the floor, etc.

I'm pretty smart and I thought I could look at a unit and tell quality. In some cases that may hold true however, RV mfgs. have a way of making a marginal unit look very, very nice. Fortunately, for us, we learned about RV Consumer before we pulled the trigger. RV Consumer is like the Consumer Reports for the RV industry.....they don't accept any advertising and are totally self supported from it's members. They evaluate and judge every make, model and year of every type of RV. They evaluate the quality, reliability, overall satisfaction, value and wether it's a weekender, vacationer, snow birder or full timer. It's a bit pricey to join but much cheaper than making a huge mistake by buying the wrong rig.

I hope some of this helps you in considering and thinking about some things that you might not otherwise have thought of.

JC

akjimny

RovingRed - If you join the Good Sam club you will get a discount at most RV parks. Since I'm an old f**t and retired military, I ask for those discounts too. Can't hurt - most they can do is say "No." Average price we paid on our last trip was $25 to $30 per night for full hookups. Most campgrounds these days have wi-fi available too.

You are right about the price of renting an RV. Pretty spendy way to have a vacation. The best thing to do is go to an RV show and/or a large RV dealership and check out the rigs. You don't have to buy a new one, but doing this will give you a good idea of the floorplans and options available. :)