Bike Racks

stktrader

I was told that if I have a 4 x 4 real bumper on my 5th wheel that has a continuous seam that I can attach the rack and carry 3 adult bikes without additional support. How do I know if it is continuously seamed? I opened the end on one side where the dump pipe is placed when not in use and I can see and fill a small ridge at the bottom of the bumper that runs the length of the bumper. The bumper is 8' long and is welded to the frame about 6' apart. Should I still have angle metal welded from the bumper to the frame or am I ok to install the bike rack and forget about this conversation?

C Nash

Re: Bike Racks

Greg, I think you will be ok with just adding the rack to the bumper unless you are talking about 3 motor cycles :laugh: :laugh: ;) but an extra weld sure would not hurt. Never know who may have welded that bumper on :eek: JMO

stktrader

The comment is that if the bumper is not a continuous weld, the bumper will torque and snap at the rack connection to the bumper due to the twisting nature of the spot welded bumper. I just do not know what I am looking at in regards to the continuous weld look. It appears that I have a continuous weld.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Your bumper is not extremely strong, but it should hold your bikes. It is a continuous tube, but thin. We have lots of customers carrying up to 4 bikes on their bumpers.

H2H1

I had one on my TT that supported 4 bikes and had no problems. As matter of fact I still it and if anyone would like to have it let me know.

stktrader

Kenneth,
Some are a continuous weld placed at the bottom of the bumper and some are a spot weld approx. 8" on center. It does not show on the outside since it is sanded off and painted. But since i can see a continuous ridge inside the 4 x 4 tube I am assuming that I am looking at a continuous weld. Is my assumption correct?

H2H1

Hey Nash I really don't want to sell.I would rather give it to some RVer who could use it

stktrader

I don't know if it is a California thing or not but people seem to be jittery about bumpers that are not additionally supported to hold bike racks. Camper World sells a bike rack that has an adapter to fit the dimensions of the 4" x 4" bumper to attach a hitch type end on the bike rack to the adapter. But the adapter requires a bumper with a continuous welded seam. Some bumpers are spot welded and flex to much to support a bike rack and therefore break over time at the bike rack connection.

DL Rupper

I think most RV'ers are into bikes for the status or looking good. Most RV'ers never take the dang things off the RV. I carried a bike around for over a year and took it off maybe 5 times. The bike ended up looking about 10 years old from exposure, so I gave it back to my son. He was not pleased. :bleh:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Well all the trailers I have sold, have had continuous welded bumpers. I used to make my living welding and machining. I have had to fix bumpers that have broken from overweight, but bikes generally wont break them.