black water and grey water

Radman2776

I am new to RVing. What all do I need to remove the black water and the grey water? I know what the manual says, but looking for answers from those who actually have done it. What about the fresh water? How long do you keep that in the tank or do you dump it at the same time and any tricks to it????
radman2776 :question:

elkhartjim

Re: black water and grey water

Pull the handle an drain the black tank, flush and flush and flush, then pull the handle that drains the grey water. Of course the manuals are written for your particuliar rv, why not try that first.

I sanitize my fresh water tanks twice a year.

Radman2776

Okay got that. Thanks. So you leave your fresh water in the holding tank? You don't try to use it up? When you say sanitize, what do you use? How often do you use your Motorhome?

elkhartjim

I leave water in the fresh storage tank even when not in use...whatever there is. I also don't have a problem with freezing.

I usually only carry about a third of a tank just because of the weight.

I use common household bleach to sanitize. Do a search and you'll find info on how much. I sanitize about every six months. I don't know if thats often enough or too often...just what I do.

So far we've been out 93 days with four scheduled in early Dec and five more new years weekend.

Radman2776

Thanks, sounds like you use your RV a lot. Using it that much, you probably go through the water often? I uderstand adding the bleach to sanitize, but you don't use that as drinking water, coffee and cooking do you? I have to add bleach in my swimming pool and it does an excellent job. I won't use my RV that much. Freezing in Alabama probably won't be a problem. We only get a few cold days a year. But I will probably drain when I plan on storing it far a while this winter. The Manual said that when dumping the black water it is better for it to be 3/4 full for best dumping results and helps in the draining. I would think you would want to drain it everytime no matter how full it is? Is that a good idea? Can you dump fresh water to achieve the 3/4 full to help the draing process if needed? or is that crazy?? Just asking.
thanks,
Phillip :)

TexasClodhopper

Phillip, it's called 'sanitizing' your fresh water system. You don't leave the bleach in the water for use. You flush your system after 'sanitizing.'

Here are some recent posts about sanitizing your water. There are older ones.

WandaLust

Radman2776 - 11/12/2009 9:31 PM Okay got that. Thanks. So you leave your fresh water in the holding tank? You don't try to use it up? When you say sanitize, what do you use? How often do you use your Motorhome?

We don't leave water in the fresh water tank for more than a week. It usually gets used up after a trip when I clean the rig for the next trip. We always use the campground water so don't carry much anyway. :)

Kirk

We live all of the time in our RV and have for ten years. I have learned that to allow the fresh water tank to sit empty is to invite a situation where the park has to turn the water off for some reason. It is also true that water sitting in your tank will in time begin to go bad. Chlorine loses it's viability in about 30 days. For that reason, I replace the water in my tank once each month. I also add about 1/8 cup of extra chlorine bleach to our tank and then put in about 20 gallons of water. That amount will taste, if used in the first week or so, but it stays good water and is fine for a shower or such when water is off.