Brake Drum Renewal

Aceventura

Help......Again! 1979 Dodge Tioga has failed the breaking test.When the hub was stripped down one of the shoes was so bad that it has worn a groove in the drum.I have been trawling the net and have been directed towards a company called Rockautos.com.They can help but they need more info in order to release a replacement.The thing is i have been requested the "original part number".How?
Does anyone have ANY knowledge on how to establish the "Correct" replacement.Living so far away i need to be 100% before i order.
As ever,thanks in advance.

akjimny

Re: Brake Drum Renewal

Steve, your profile doesn't list where "so far away" it is that you live, but any Dodge/Chrysler dealer should be able to get the parts for you. They have computer data bases of parts numbers. Hope this helps. :) :)

Aceventura

RE: Brake Drum Renewal

Hi Akjimny

I live in Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands.It took me over two weeks to get dizzy leads which had to be ordered from mainland Spain so a brake drum from America means i need to be spot on with the order.We do have a Chrysler dealer but he looked at the RV and couldnt get rid of me quick enough lol.
Thanks for input.. ;)

akjimny

OooooooKaaaaaay - now I understand. I googled 1979 B400 Dodge and got a couple of hits for brake drums, with two different part numbers. And, I'm not sure if they were the Dodge numbers or just part numbers the distributor came up with. So Monday I will call my local Dodge dealer and see if I can get the "real" part numbers for you. Hang in there. :laugh: :laugh:

Aceventura

Thank you.I was though led to understand she was a MB300,dont know what the difference is but maybe RV chassis and truck chassis.Talk about a minefield but nothings straight forward i suppose lol.Thanks again. ;)

akjimny

Dodge came in three chassis - MB200, MB300 and MB400, if I'm not mistaken. I just used the 400 as an example when I went looking. Now I know what you have and can check with my local Dodge dealer tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to get you a good part number :) :)

akjimny

Steve - I just got off the phone with my local Dodge dealer. His Parts guy, Robert, was really helpful. Had to drag out the old paper parts manuals to get the parts number. That's where we hit a snag.

There are 15 different part numbers, depending on the size of the brake drum. To get you the exact part number, I need to let him know the diameter of the drum (i.e. 11.5 inch or 12 inch or ??) and the size of the braking area (i.e. 2 inch or 2.5 inch or ??)

Other bad news is Dodge no longer stocks parts for that model year. Hopefully Rockautos will be able to get you the right drum. Post back and I'll call the dealer again. :) :)

cougarkid

There is one more option........although not probably the most disirable
If getting a new drum is cost prohibative, you could have the one you have repaired.

A good welding/machine shop can build up the inside of the old drum with weld and then turn it down to specs. This process is used a lot on brake drums for fork lifts and such.

Sounds extreme, but is a viable option, if needed.

Just a thought. Good Luck!

Aceventura

Thanks Cougarkid, i did mention this to the mechanic but to be honest i dont think there is a machine shop on the Island to undertake such a task also the groove is over half the thickness of the drum deep.I did manage to take a couple of phone pictures when it was stripped down and the inside radius was 305mm (12 inch),from the back plate to the edge of the shoes was 90mm (3 inch + ) which im "guessing" is 3" shoes going by Rockautos spec.Measuring the half circumference of the shoes is 420mm and its 8 studs for fixing.The metric by the way was due to the lack of imperial tapes,welcome to Europe as they say,so much simpler in inches.There is also a guy in England who i am awaiting more info off so hopefully between us all success will be mine lol.Just to add to the tale it did cross my mind to try and swap the complete axle for same size diff/stub centres but always there as a back up.Again,thanks for the input. :)

akjimny

Mike - That was a good idea. We used to do a lot of build up on the heavy equipment I used to work on way back in the day. My boss was too cheap to buy new parts.

Steve - Any machine shop capable of turning brake drums should be able to machine them after building up the score. Just make sure they use a stick welder and not a wire feed, if you decide to go that way. Also, I checked that Rockauto website you mentioned and really liked it a lot. I even added it to my Favorites so I can come back to it. I usually use JC Whitney, but Rockautos seems to have them beat.

Anyway, I will call my local Dodge man tomorrow with your info - 12x3 brakes on a MB300 chassis, and will get you the original part number, I hope. :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh:

akjimny

Steve - Just got off the phone with the Dodge parts department. Brake drum should be Part Number 4112626. That is the part number for the over 9,00 pound gross vehicle weight part. He also gave me a part number for the under 9,00 pound chassis. It is part number 3496563.

I'm pretty sure the motorhome will take the higher GVWR parts. JMO

Hope this helps. :) :)

Aceventura

Sorry for delay,i have the breakdown sequence of the chassis number and the letter "C" indicates the GVW class but not sure which bracket this puts her in,above or below.

akjimny

Steve - Try this from Parts Train

I am hoping to attach a file to this from the parts Train catalog. Let me know if it doesn't work.

:eek: :eek:

akjimny

Steve - I don't have your e-mail address. The website is PartsTrain.com and the drum you need is Bendix Brake Drum, PART#: BFPDR0542

Good luck.

Aceventura

Akjimny,Thank you so much for your help and your time.I have bbeen to the garage and they are going to "double check" and call me monday and with all parties happy the drum will be ordered,sometimes i wish lived i America lol.I will keep you posted but again thanks for your help.
Kind regards....steve. :) :)

Aceventura

Well thats the saga finished for the drum,the top hat style fitted and raring to go but not so far! see next post for Tioga!Sometimes i wonder why lol............