brake systems

bell

I have a 2003 Fleetwood 30' on a Workhorse chassis (gas 8.1) and need help on the hydroboost brake system. Any one have any knowledge or bad news on these? I have spongey stopping with a leak near the unit ( red fluid) . Are these problematic ?
Help of any kind!!!
Thanks to all !

C Nash

Re: brake systems

Are you having to add brake fluid to the brake master cylinder? I would take the unit to the nearest Workhorse dealer and have this checked if you are not mechanical able to do yourself. workhorse has had brake problems and it should be covered under warrenty as this would be safety related.

G

I agree with Nash ,, but if u'r leaking red fluid ,, then it sounds like the seals in the hydro are going ,, see this type unit uses the power steering pump to give u the boost ,, kinda like the old vacuum booster did ,, works the same ,, but they use this setup on heavier vehicles ,, due to the fact that it would take all the vac outta the old style booster ,, to stop a big rv ,, but since u never loose boost (via p/s pump) it works better ,, sorry for the long post ,, got carried away :eek: :approve: :) :) :)

quantoson

I disagree with you both. The brake system bell is talking about is from the pump on the parking brake. Yes they are problematic. The pump reacts when the motor home transmission is put in park. The light for auto park comes on and the Brake light comes on.. there is a yellow push pull button on the dash that applies the park brakes for the motor home. If the yellow push pull button is not pulled, the leveling jacks will not operate.

The fluid that is leaking most likely will be coming from the pressure switch senor. It is located to the left side of the pump. The pump most likely is located on the front right of the motor home. It is difficult to locate if your not familiar with the compartment. It cost about $72 for the switch. The switch will be brown with a black set of wires and harness plug.

If you notice when the park pull switch is activated, it makes a humming sound. That is the pump. When it is deactivated, it makes the same sound. If the fluid leaks, try to see where it comes from. My money is on the senor switch. These systems suck. But workhorse used GM brand senor that are notorious for leaking.

The only other place the leak could be coming from is if the cap on the brake pump reservoir is lose.

Good Luck

C Nash

Bell didn't mention anything about having the auto park system but if his does have it could very well be what quantoson
described. Can't see how quantoson could disagree with having workhorse check it out as it should be covered under warranty with it being a safety related problem. I have dealt with some of the auto park systems and they can be a nightmare. really thought they had done away with them by 2003 but guess they were still using them. Great info quantoson.

bell

Yes I do have the autobrake, but the spongy hard to push brake pedal is my concern! I saw the leak in the hydro area so I am open to all suggestions. Workhorse told me NO warranty and good luck!! Coachman referred me to Workhorse and so it goes on.
I am hearing everything from sticking calipers to bad hydro so any help is appreciated!

C Nash

Did you contact workhorse or was it just a dealer that said no warranty? They have had this problem and they should be able to at least give you some pointers.

bell

I contacted Workhorse directly and they were less than helpful!! Any suggestions? With 9,500 miles I hoped someone would step up!!

ironart

Hi Bell,
I have your brake boost system on my 89 GMC Diesel truck. It works great until you loose power steering fluid..(the red stuff you are seeing) or you break a power steering belt (there should be 2 of them and if one breaks it will usually take out the other). Once that happens you will loose your breaks and steering all at the same time...Not fun and it has happened to me twice. Keep spare belts and the tools to replace them. New boosters are not that expensive.....I think the last one I replace was only $140.00 and they are available at most local truck parts suppliers. I think NAPA even has them.

Paul
Hesperia, CA

ironart

Bell,
Th only 9500 miles....There must be a defect in the unit ...Which should be covered by the warranty..???
The ones I have replaced have lasted over 150.000 miles ea. and I may not have had to replace the last one as I found a leak in the hose that supplies the fluid from the Power steering pump. It had been rubbing on the frame and worn a spot on the hose that was leaking....I was just so far into the project that I replace the booster anyway.
:eek: :(

Paul
Hesperia, CA