Brand new at this--different requirements than "newguy"

evaesq

I know that I would like to buy a used Class B. I'd prefer a Winnebago Rialta but have never, ever RV'd anywhere in any vehicle.
My needs are based on the vehicle being used for minimal driving (maybe 5,000 in a year), needing to re-sell it within a year, having it loaded with my stuff, myself, my cat and my dog and it acting as my only vehicle for the period I own it. I would also not have a home while travelling in it. My current location is Alaska and my intention is to move down to the lower 48. The vehicle would be used for the three of us to find a new home and I can't afford to fly, rent motel rooms, and cars plus I have the animals making it very difficult to do that. I don't have lots of money.
Living in Alaska, I've found that the only RVs available here are Class A and Class Cs. I need to be able to leave my animals in the vehicle if I'm going grocery shopping or out on the town so I know I need heating and cooling systems. I haven't a clue how complicated it is to hook up these things when I'm in a campsite. I have no idea how the generators run or for how long. It seems to me that cooking and refrigerating on electricity is better for me than using propane. I have no idea whether diesel or gas engines are better. I also don't know how to get a vehicle up here in Alaska and how to buy safely sight unseen.
It's been suggested that I rent one first but I can't afford to go down south to do that. I need to drive out of here in the vehicle when I move.
Any and all suggestions and help are much appreciated!
Thank you.

LEN

The Rialta just maybe the unit for you. I have friends who traveled with two small dogs in one and were able to go everywhere with it. Where you are now doesn't give much opertonity to learn by sight about
rv's but if there is an RV park around visit it and look around. People love to show off their rigs and are more than willing to teach a bit. Get a couple books on RVing with pictures and read read read. And feel free to come with questions.

LEN

akjimny

Hi Eva and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. I am going to disagree with Len. I think you would be too restricted in a Class B. In every one I've seen you've had to fold the bed up in order to sit down for dinner and they don't have that much storage space. My personal opinion would be that a smaller Class C (20 to 24 foot) would be a better choice. A Class C is just like driving a full size Ford or Chevy van, only a little larger. Plus they have a "bedroom" and more storage. Plus plus you can probably find a newer used Classs C cheaper than a comparable used Class B.

Good luck and post back if you have more questions.:):)