Buying a resale RV (ADvice) 1st time owners

sunnyhello03

We will be buying a resale RV in the next couple of months to live in for family of four (two adults and two kids) . Will live in for about one year while new home is built. Hope to keep it a long time and use it as much as possiable on the road. Do not want to spend loads of cash on it and want it no smaller than 37ft, have a slider, W/D, etc. What advice can be given.

1. What's a good average mileage per year?
2. Diesal or gas?
3. How do we determine if we are getting the RV for a good price?
4. What are some good questions to ask seller about the RV.
5. What are some RED FLAGS?

Thanks,
ED :)

JimE

RE: Buying a resale RV (ADvice) 1st time owners

Eva, welcome to the forum. I'll try and help with some of your questions and the rest of the crew will chime in.

1. What's a good average mileage per year?

This depends on whether you are getting a gas or a diesel model. A gas engine can go up to 70 or 80k before you start having engine wear problems where a diesel isnt even broken in at 200k miles. Decide how much traveling you are going to do and how long you want to keep it. You said you were looking to having it for a long time so if you are traveling a lot and want to keep it for a long time I would go for a diesel.

2. Diesal or gas?

Answered above.

3. How do we determine if we are getting the RV for a good price?

Do a lot of shopping. I cant stress this enough, go on the web go to the lots go to shows. Find a reputable dealer. The last one I purchased from gave me the coach for a month and told me to bring it back after that and he would fix everything I found wrong and they did. Go to the lot and talk to the sales people, you get a good feel for the company by talking to the salesman. There are some fantastic deals out there right now so if you do your homework you can save thousands compared to this time last year.

4. What are some good questions to ask seller about the RV.

Have them show you that everything works, and I mean everything. Ask about the hours on the generator and when was it last serviced. Ask if it has ever been in an accident. How many owners has it had and has it ever been a rental unit. These can have some serious wear to them. You really have to find the dealer you can trust and then the rest is much easier. Use the internet, disgruntled RV owners love to voice their opinions. Also ask if the company is still in business, the economy has claimed many victims.

5. What are some RED FLAGS?

Find out if it has ever had any water damage. Look in every closet and around every window door and slide for any signs of water, this is a showstopper. Check the serial numbers on the tires, they will tell you how old they are. You can look up on line to see which numbers show the year. RV tires last 6 years and thats it you have to replace them and that could add a couple of thousand more to the price. It is well worth the money to pay a qualified RC mechanic to give the unit a once over, any reputable dealer would be open to that.

brodavid

Re: Buying a resale RV (ADvice) 1st time owners

good advice,
also look it over like you know there is a problem, you just have to find it, crawl over , in, and under it, look through it completely, check even the batteries, the date on them
take your time , and if the dealer is in a hurry to get you to buy, then get in a hurry to leave that site, something is wrong

sunnyhello03

Thanks so much Jim and brodavid for your advice, this really helps! I'm going to write those good questions down and make sure I ask. If you all think of anything else I should ask please let me know.

Do you agree with this statement? I read this somewhere on the internet.

"Most experienced or educated RV buyers focus on the chassis or frame, drive train, engine, suspension and exterior construction when selecting a particular RV model"

"And a common mistake with most new RV buyers is that the floor plan is the most important aspect in their RV purchase. It is estimated that over 90% of new RV buyers focus more on floor plans than anything else."

Where can I find the information that tells me what a good chassis or frame, drive train, engine, etc. Is there a book you can refer? I guess honest educated salespersons should be able to give me this infor. as well.

Eva :)

rjf7g

Make sure the RV has a current inspection and tires with a good date (you should replace them every 6 to 7 years). Check under cushions and inside every nook and cranny for signs of water damage. Make sure all of the appliances work. Inspect the roof to make sure the seals and seams have been kept up. How do I know these things? Because they are all mistakes I made!