Camp Firewood

Kenworth

Is there a place to find firewood laws. One of my favorite parts of camping is the campfires, one of my biggest peeves, is paying $5-$10 a bundle...Here in Ohio, we are quarantine, due to the emerald ash borer, but if you de-bark your firewood they have no issues...Thanks-Joshua

Philip.Saran

Joshua,
Can't you just buy firewood from a supplier at home and haul it with you? Just debark it yourself?

I just bought a 25 lb bag of hardwood pieces from my local lumber yard for $8.00

Phil Saran
Fullerton, CA

LEN

Look for new construction and check with the contractor and see if you can have the waste.
I just got a bay full, nice and clean, dry and EZ to use. FREE FREE FREE

LEN

Wolfpack Fan

We get our firewood from a local firewood place. They sell a small rack of walnut for $40, oak for $50. It's about 30 pieces, but they're large pieces and split into 3 or 4 pieces the size of the camp host or grocery store bundles, so we're getting 90-120 pieces for $40 bucks. Gets stacked in the back yard and lasts us several camping trips. For the debarking. Man what a bummer that's gotta be. Never had to deal with that and don't know what to tell you.

H2H1

Just put it in one of your bins and take it with you. I would think, if you are burning it, then what ever is in it will die. At least that was in my case. Just remember: Don't ask about it and don't tell about it.

Kenworth

I have an unlimited supply...that is what I was wandering if I can transport it. I burn wood for heat all year long, and I have an abundance of good dry hardwoods. I am just not wanting to get caught hauling it somewhere I shouldn't and getting fined big $$$

Grandview Trailer Sa

Our State Parks in VA do not want you to bring firewood either because of bugs. They dont want you to spread them around the state. But if you haul your own wood in, they dont say a word.

KarenS144

Indiana & Kentucky don't want you bringing your own wood either. Indiana lets you if it's debarked but I'm not sure about KY. We used to haul our own wood but have chosen not to anymore. Most places have firewood available for a price of course.

I think the issue is that the bugs may crawl/fly out of the stored (stacked) wood at the campsite before it's burned. Lots of creepy crawlies can hide in the bark.

ejdixon

Same goes with North Carolina and Wisconsin. In Wisconsin, they will only allow debarked firewood that comes within a 25 mile radius from the state parks. Not sure if the same restriction goes for North Carolina. Some parks will allow you to gather firewood within the area, so you can go ahead and check first with them so you don't have to pay anything. Personally, I'd rather spend $10 a bundle than run the risk of having to pay a fine of $1000 and ruining my mood during the entire camping trip.

RVBob7645

Kenworth;78203 said:
Is there a place to find firewood laws. One of my favorite parts of camping is the campfires, one of my biggest peeves, is paying $5-$10 a bundle...Here in Ohio, we are quarantine, due to the emerald ash borer, but if you de-bark your firewood they have no issues...Thanks-Joshua

Wait so are you interested in buying a cheaper pack?