Can my truck tow a 5th wheel

The Utts

Hi, I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 Z71 and I am trying to figure out if it will tow a 1999 Coachmen lite 26'. I read that the 5th wheels are easier/safer to tow, so we are leaning towards the 5th wheel, but I don't know how to find out if it will be able to tow it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Gary B

Can my truck tow a 5th wheel

Hi Mike, read in your owners manual to see what your truck is rated to tow, you need to know the GVWR that gross vehicle wt. rating, that how much you can load into the truck this is the wt of the truck full of fuel, poeple, any stuff you would take in the truck and the king pin wt of the 5er. Then you need to find the GCWR this is the gross combined wt. rating, this is the trucks wt all loaded to go plus the wt. of the 5th wheel trailer loaded to go, this would be all clothes, food, water, and again any stuff. For quick ideas check your truck rating then go to the 5er's information an check its gross wt rating. 5th wheels aren't really safer to tow over a proplerly hitched TT, both have advantages and disadvantages, TT are level inside, all have standup bedrooms are lower profile and will tow easier and you have the truck bed for carry stuff, 5ers are easier to maneuver have more storage, the wt is distrubuted more evenly on the tow vehicle more stability, are higher profile so tow harder especially in wind and are much easier to hitch up. Hope this helps :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve: