Carefree awning

Discussion in 'General RVing' started by LEN, Feb 4, 2009.

1. LEN

LEN Senior Member

We just put out the awning for the first time since purchase, just put it out to see if it was ok when purchased. Well I didn't check as good as I could have in the winter. Anyway awning itself is OK but the upper adjustable arms, the frictions knobs are both(each end) frozen rusted. Got penetrating oil on the screws now but don't hold out much hope. Can they be replaced? HOW? Looks like maybe if you take them apart there is a nut on the inside.

LEN

9e

2. Grandview Trailer Sa

Grandview Trailer Sa Senior Member

Re: Carefree awning

There is a square nut inside, but yes they can be replaced. We find a few each year. Maybe your oil will do the trick. If they are rusted beyond repair, you will have to force them apart to replace.

3. LEN

LEN Senior Member

The good thing is they are both in the no friction position, I'll shoot it with the penetrating oil a few times and hope. Then if that fails get out the ladder and I think the top is riveted so a drill out maybe in order then replace with a bolt. Are these battery powered tools "not cool ". At least I have most of the tools with me I think.

Thanks

LEN

4. rjf7g

rjf7g Senior Member

Or, do what I do and call Kenneth!

5. Grandview Trailer Sa

Grandview Trailer Sa Senior Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Only I know the story behind that comment, Becky....Thanks for the plug!!