CB Trouble Shooting.

beachboy

My CB hasn't worked in my coach for a long time and after my trip to Florida this past winter, I would like to get it going.
I don't know where to start looking. I do get the crackle sound from it but can not hear anyone on it. How can I check
1. the antenna,
2. the cable lead, and
3. the radio itself?
In what order is it better to start checking?

Thank you.

ps. It is a Radio Shack 40 channel model about 10 years old
My local truck repair facility has a new Cobra model on clearout for $69.00. Would I just be better off to replace the whole outfit?

98 Beaver Monterey 36 ft.

JimE

RE: CB Trouble Shooting.

Wayne when I first bouth my recent RV I had the same issue only to find that someone had messed with the knobs and the squelch was way out of adjustment. Try turning the squelch down until the statis stops, turn to channel 19 and break for a radio check and see if you get an answer. If not, does the noise go away when you key your mike? I am no expert but have stumbled through this issue myself. Let us know what you find.

akjimny

Re: CB Trouble Shooting.

If you have static but no voices, especially on channel 19, I would suspect a bad antenna or coax line. You said it was a 10 yr old Radio Shack CB. Has it been in place for all 10 years? When did it last work?
By the way, don't go back to Radio Shack for any help. They don't do CB radios anymore. They should probably change their name to "Cell Phone Shack." :) :)

H2H1

I bought a cobra last year and it has never worked. I sent it back to the factory, they came back and said it was Ok . I have tried 2 different antennas , one a magnetic base and the other one inside my MH that is shared with the radio. I can hear, but can't transmit out. I have been told it was the SR reading or something like that. I don't know where to take it, there are no CB repair shop in my area. OH well, that my problems
:laugh:

akjimny

Hollis, one common mistake I've seen made when installing a CB is the person will take the excess coax and coil it in a nice and neat. What this does is make an "RF Choke" which effectively blocks any outgoing signal. That might be your problem. Also, you need to check the Standingg Wave Ratio (SWR). This takes a SWR meter. I googled Midland, GA and there is a truck stop that might be able to point you at a CB repairman. All the big rigs have them. Hope this helps some.

beachboy

RE: CB Trouble Shooting.

Nothing on channel 19, so I guess I try to find a new antenna and then a new coax if that doesn't solve the problem.

topdownman

I had a similar problem, but whenever I would put it on channel 19, all I would hear is cussing, singing, shouting and other unintelligible garbage. So, I just leave it off. It looks impressive but works better in the off position.

LEN

Although I must agree on leaving it off, I have found it useful on almost every extended trip. Couple times asking about a limited closure and if I could get through with my rig. And a few times where traffic was held up got the info and was able to reroute with the GPS. So even though I don't leave it on for the CB to just sit there with no lights almost all the time it's worth it to me.

LEN

akjimny

About the only reason I have my CB is for the stretch of road thru Canada and Alaska where there is no cell phone service. All the truckers and most of the cars have CB's and will send help if you need it. At least that's been my experience. You're right about the trash talk on Ch 19. It can get pretty bad at times. But it's always nice to have a back-up plan, just in case.