Cleaning furnace ducting

Jakesdad

Hi, new here and I have a problem with mice droppings in my motorhome furnace ducting that has been sitting for a couple years. Its a Holiday Rambler 28' 1994. I can see mice dropping through the vents in the floor so I don't even want to turn the furnace on. I need to clean or flush out the ducting first. Since this is below floor level can it be flushed out with bleach water and allowed to run out into the basement? It has a layer of insulation laying on the bottom of the ducting so I'm wondering if that would dry out if I parked it on an incline and kept the furnace running. Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated. Thanks

Triple E

Re: Cleaning furnace ducting

Good question and welcome to this forum. I would believe that the ducting is sealed so I would not try pouring water inside the ducting system. JMHO. Would it be possible to extend a long vacuum hose into you system? You might have to hire a professional for this job.

I am sure someone on here will have a good answer. Good luck. :)

:8ball:

LEN

There are flexible brush's one could use but I would vacuum first with a good flexible hose then turn furnace on and spray disinfectant into the cold air return(might even shut off gas so there is no heat to start with) and then heat to dry out. With Triple E don't think I would try any flushing as the ducts are sealed.

LEN

Jakesdad

Ok, help me understand this. The furnace duct also blows warm air down into the basement compartments so aren't the vents that point downward from the ducting into the compartments in effect "holes" in the bottom of the ducting that water would run out of? I'm leaning toward not using any water but I need to know how these are "sealed". Thanks.

LEN

Yes and No! There may or may not be a connection from the coach ducting to the basement ducts. The basement ducts may come direct from the furnace and likewise the coach ducting, so there would be not drain from the coach ducting.

LEN

Triple E

Are you saying that your storage compartments are heated by forced air? Just asking. I don't have vents that point downward from the ducting into the compartments so I can not comment on this. I guess no advice is better then bad advice. :)

:8ball:

Jakesdad

Yes the underneath compartments are forced air heated. So I just assumed warm air came directly out of the bottom of the ducts into the compartments.