Coach batteris not getting charged

kluttzjimmy

I have a 2001 Damon Intruder and have a coach battery issue that I cannot figure out. The new batteries are not getting charged from the generator, the shore power or from the front engine. They will take a charge with a battery charger. What steps should I do to begin trouble shooting? Thank you for your time.

C Nash

Re: Coach batteris not getting charged

Start by making sure your converter is working. My guess its not. There are fuses on the converter that may be blown. Welcome to the forum

Kirk

Re: Coach batteris not getting charged

I suggest that you first make sure that the batteries are connected properly. In my work experience, I have found that it is wise to check the simplest things first. With no shore power connected, the chassis engine not running and the genset off, try your lights, water pump and a few things inside to see if they work, when you have the batteries charged up. If they do not, then the problem is in the battery connections. If they do, you can then consider what comes next. Since you do not get a charge from the chassis engine, that does not use the converter so there is no point in looking at that, until you find the reason for this. If you have a battery isolator, is it closed and connecting the coach batteries to the system, we then go to the next area. As a test, lift the negative cable from the battery and isolate it. Next, start the chassis engine and see if your lights, which are 12V-DC, will then work. If so, that power has to come from the chassis alternator and so you have some kind of electrical connection problem. At this point, we need more information to be able to trouble shoot more. I will assure you that the converter has nothing to do with charging from the chassis alternator.

Because you refer to the coach batteries as "the new batteries" I suspect that you have just put in new ones and that they are not properly connected.