Dually?

DCLC

Still trying to break into the RV lifestyle. Considered motorhomes and now looking at 5th wheels. Question is, I've been looking for an F350 diesel. It's not a dually. Mistake?

akjimny

Re: Dually?

Depends on what you want to tow with it. A dually will get you more tow capacity and will be more stable while towing. It will get slightly less fuel mileage when empty and the empty ride will be a little more harsh. Plus you will have to buy six tires instead of four. JMO but if I was going to tow a big fiver, I would want the dually. :) :) :)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Over the last 25 years selling horse, cattle andequipment trailers...and now Campers, I have had a lot of trucks. I do not need a Dually. I do have a 3500 GMC, but only 4 tires.

I agree that if your getting a HUGE 5th wheel, the dually would be nice or neccessary, but most 5ths can be towed without.

DCLC

Thanks for the input. I did talk to a guy today that tows a 36' 5th wheel with a diesel 250 and says he's had no problems. Don't think I'd go beyond that without the extra tires.

Grandview Trailer Sa

It is done all the time. What I hate to see is a 38 or 40 footer being towed with a 3/4 ton SHORT BED......now that is a recipe for a wreck. Your tow vehicle MUST have enough wheel base to control the monster behind it. That is what makes Suburbans such good tow vehicles with trailers.

We just sold an ElkRidge 5th that measured 38' 11". It weighed around 9,600 lbs. A 3/4 ton towed it down here, but Long Bed... Customer who bought it had a Dually. Interesting note: All the delivery guys who bring me trailers have Long Bed trucks. I cannot remember a trailer being delivered with a short bed truck, there is a reason.

Mjayco

I'm thinking of a new tow vehicle also. If its only the wheelbase that makes the difference then how would a short bed crew cab be? I think the wheelbase would be about the same as the long bed. I'm towing a 32' toy hauer TT. I tow it now with a 2004 Dodge 2500 Quad cab short bed but it seems to sway quite a bit in strong winds. I have a Reese dual cam hitch. Thanks

krsmitty

Mjayco - 7/15/2011 2:40 PM

I'm thinking of a new tow vehicle also. If its only the wheelbase that makes the difference then how would a short bed crew cab be? I think the wheelbase would be about the same as the long bed. I'm towing a 32' toy hauer TT. I tow it now with a 2004 Dodge 2500 Quad cab short bed but it seems to sway quite a bit in strong winds. I have a Reese dual cam hitch. Thanks

I know there are always differences...but my 2 cents. I have a 07 Dodge 2500 CTD Quad cab short bed. Started out towing a 24' TT and had no problems with sway. I quit using the sway bars all together. Upgraded to a 31' 5er and still tows like a champ.