e break cable

Discussion in 'Class C Motorhomes' started by mdavisardath, May 4, 2017.

1. mdavisardath

mdavisardath New Member

I own an e450 ford trans mount e break. I am told that the pads are good. The cable has stretched and needs replacement or ? Can I replace the cable or are their other fixes. I have not had an e break for a few years. I can drive off with it engaged. Upppps. Ford wants 700.00 to replace the cable.

2. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

There should be an adjustment on it. It is on the drive shaft that you are talking about I assume. 700 seems mighty high to me. Did Ford check it and say pads were ok? Time for second opinion. Cable may be broken > Never heard of one stretching.

3. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

You can goggle Ford rv emergency brake and get a lot of info on it

4. mdavisardath

mdavisardath New Member

thank you for the response. I was told at an rv place that the pads were ok. The cable was adjusted down to the max. It worked ok then. But once I forgot to take the e break off and upppps.

5. C Nash

C Nash Senior Member

If you forgot to release the brakes the pads may be gone now. I know on mine it want move if the brake is on. The price quoted really all depends on which system you have. I have seen prices of 1500 on some of them. Good luck and let us know what you find

6. mdavisardath

mdavisardath New Member

Hi thank you all. I will see about the pads. There is a truck place in slo county I can go to besides Ford.