El Dorado California

The Englishman

I read a lot on these forums so as to mould a clearer picture in my mind as to what I can expect of places in the Union. I have read little of California and ask you why? I know that Los Angeles is Muesli City (cos its full of nuts, fruits and flakes) but excusing that has anyone ever been to El Dorado, California?

If so then whats it like up there?

Browzin

Re: El Dorado California

Are you speaking of El Dorado Hills, Calif.? Or of the little gold mining town of El Dorado,Calif.?
The two towns are only a few miles apart, but totally different in all other aspects.

The Englishman

...well El Dorado County in general really. I see its elevated and not too hot and has great views of the seaside and land prices are modest in comparison so suggests its not astronomically expensive to visit and through the Internet 'eye' to me looks a great place but I dont read too much of visitors to this area and I just wondered why? We dont care for busy connurbations and the like but see its kind of 'wedged' amongst some quite big places but not at their dinner table so to speak.

TexasClodhopper

In general, California is falling off the map little by little. (Literally, in some ways.) They've spent their way into oblivion supporting everyone from cradle to grave, and there's only one way out --- take more money from everyone else.

Come to think of it, Steve, it might not sound too bad to you coming from England. :(

Browzin

El Dorado County
Look for information on Lake Tahoe, Sutter's Mill, Coloma, etc. all located within El Dorado County.
There are tons of postings through out the internet on individual places located within El Dorado County, problem is, everything is listed under a given topic such as Lake Tahoe or Sutter's Mill, Calif. Gold Discovery, etc. El Dorado County comprises a large area with land price's ranging from average to outrageous. It is also loaded with 1849 Gold Rush history, places to see and things to do.

*scooter*

As previously mentioned, this area is rich in history and scenery. From the discovery of gold, 'Old Hangtown' (Placerville), Lake Tahoe, Hwy 49 and the historic towns dotted along the hwy which was the main route for miners during the gold rush. Beautiful country. JMO. :laugh: :)

marstrings

I think we missed El Dorado, but if it's in the region of Lake Tahoe, it'll be lovely country. Spent a short while there back in October.

What about the weather in the LA area right now though? The Sante Anna winds are blowing, but gently. It's beautiful out here.

Sadly, we will be leaving the USA, (and California our favourite State) tomorrow. It's been a fantastic year. Now to go home to the UK and face the harsh economic truths!

Martin.

Browzin

Traveling Hwy 49 (this is the gold discovery route) and seeing all the sites along the way is well worth the time and effort.

Now for anyone traveling in the state of Calif. wanting to know if a given route has any restriction as far as vehicle length, or if it is good route to take with a given vehicle combination, go to this web site http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/bus-mh/45-bus-map.htm and click on the area that you are interested in.